.NET/Mono/NETMF Monitor and Command midleware for embedded projects

Hi,

I published on Codeplex a stable version of my “.NET/Mono/NETMF Monitor and Command midleware for embedded projects” solution, written with C# and the stated frameworks.

https://monitorandcommand.codeplex.com

The solution produces .dll that you can reference in your .NET/Mono/NetMF (and WindowsPhone) projects to add client/server messaging capabilities allowing to monitor and control the processes using them. I designed it primarily with embedded .NET/Mono projects in mind.

Videos on YouTube demonstrate the use of those .dll to provide monitoring and commanding between :

• a Netduino referencing the NETMF client to sending temperature data from a DS18B20 sensor.
  • a Raspberry Pi using the .NET/Mono client library with Mono to send the states of the Pibrella board’s LEDs;
  • a Windows Phone using the WP client to start/stop the blinking of the LEDs;
  • a WPF Monitor application using the .NET client library to display data received from the above;
    all communicating through a console “server application” using the .NET/Mono server library running on a Raspberry Pi 2. Other videos hosted on the same account demonstrate other configurations.

The solution, explained and documented on the Codeplex pages, is available for download under the BSD licence.

Paul

5 Likes

Hi,

I published v.1.1.1 of the “Monitor and Command” solution on Codeplex, with new/enhanced clients (e.g. Windows 8) and extra features (“technical events” log, “heartbeat”, NETMF autoreconnect). Check http://monitorandcommand.codeplex.com/releases/view/619802 for a detailed description of the content of that new version.

I also published on YouTube a new demonstration video with detailed explanations in the description section. I hope it makes things a bit more comprehensible.

Paul

4 Likes

Which OS did you use for the .NET/Mono server?

@ Mr. John Smith - The server, a .NET 4.5 Console Application, is running on the Raspberry Pi 2 at the front. The Pi’s OS is Raspbian, with Mono installed with the “apt-get update” command. I do not remember the precise version numbers but I can check if needed.

Hi,

I published v.1.2.0 of the “Monitor and Command” solution on Codeplex. The solution has been upgraded to Visual Studio 2015 Community Edition and v.1.2.0 adds the following :

• enhanced “device disconnection” detection and handling in the Core.Server library;
  • a new “Android Phone Controller” demo showcasing how to build Xamarin.Android clients referencing the .NET client library.

Check https://monitorandcommand.codeplex.com/releases/view/624328 for a detailed description of the content of that new version.

I also published on GitHub some Wiring/C++ code demonstrating how to integrate Particle’s Photon devices with the middleware : GitHub - codeabilitynet/monitorandcommandclientforparticlephoton: Monitor and Command client for Particle Photon

A YouTube video showcases those additions/enhancements.

Paul

4 Likes