.NET Gadgeteer at CMAP Code Camp

@ Architect:

As it happens, Pete and I have the perfect event for you:

http://madexpo.us/

The site still has the info from the inaugural event last year, but one of the things we did was to have a hacker/maker-type room where folks could showcase their hardware-related projects. One major attraction was a local high-school robotics team that worked with NASA to compete in the FIRST robotics competition:

Pete also had a table FULL of his various robotics and electronics projects and toys.

We’re getting ready to start planning the 2012 event, and would love to have any and all of our TinyCLR peers come join us.

First bit of video (about the first 7 minutes of our talk) is now up:

Will share more as it becomes available, particularly since this bit doesn’t have any of our demos (nor Pete’s fun costume).

This particular video was recorded by one of the attendees at the session, and has quite a lot of zooming and panning. I’ll try to post my video tomorrow, assuming it came out OK.

UPDATE: Switched to a somewhat better version of Part 1 of the video.

Great start.

Really??? He started with a netduino!!! :naughty:

Great job guys! I’m definitely taking notes. I’ll be giving the same presentation in March to our .NET user’s group in Nashville. If you happen to be in the area around that time, I’d love to have you join in the fun.

LOL! I wondered who’d be first to point that out…

You will notice, however, as we progress through the session, that ALL of our demos are on the FEZ Spider Gadgeteer gear.

Besides…who wouldn’t want a Gadgeteer kit after seeing everything laid out so neatly on Pete’s board (I’m thinking there’s a little OCD going on there, but don’t tell Pete I said so)? :wink:

I understand…saving the best for last :wink:

Can’t wait to see the rest of the videos!

Last time it did not end up good.

Are saying I should prepare for a beating? >:(

Part II of the video from CMAP Code Camp:

Enjoy!

Part III:

Includes Pete’s wonderful Dr. Brown costume:

Enjoy!

Really He started with a netduino!!! <<

Now now, guys. Let’s not go there. I consider Chris a friend, and I’m very vendor agnostic when it comes to technology (unless there’s fruit involved). It was the Netduino that got first me into .NETMF. If he had Gadgeteer stuff, I would have given it some airtime as well.

I really do like that Gus has done, but the only reason I haven’t ordered some Gadgeteer stuff from Sytech in the UK just to check it out is that the shipping ends up more than the board :stuck_out_tongue: Usually I like to spread it around a bit to be fair to everyone; as long as what they’ve produced is decent.

Enough on that :smiley:

The talk was great fun. I showed the Netduino, as well as an older white Panda with a MIDI shield (no one needs to know that shield doesn’t work with NETMF boards due to the 5v requirement O_o ) and then spent the rest of the hour and a quarter demoing the Spider. Andrew had some really impressive Spider / eBlock demos in the last half hour; be sure to stick around to watch them.

For a code camp, the room was packed. Consider it was a 5pm session and I’m even more impressed. The people in the room loved this stuff. :slight_smile:

Pete

Yes that was an unneeded comment. It was a good plan to show old stuff then the new stuff. We all need to show the great value of netmf and gadgeteer anywhere possible so thank you guys for this fun presentation.

Our pleasure, Gus…and I’m not at all offended by a little good-natured ribbing. All part of putting it out there. :slight_smile:

Speaking of which, Pete and I will be presenting together again on November 30th in Baltimore, MD, so if anyone is in the area, please stop in. Details at:

[url]http://baltomsdn.com/[/url]

(yes, I still need to update the abstract to include Pete…we just hatched the idea of co-presenting this over the weekend)

We also just recorded an episode of the Community Megaphone Podcast on .NET Micro Framework and .NET Gadgeteer (among other topics), which should be out in the next week or so. I’ll post a link once it’s up.

I appologize if anyone was offended at my poking a little fun at Pete. Anyone who has read my blog will know that it says very plainly that I’m a NETMF supporter first & foremost. However, I have come to have a preference in hardware :wink: I also plan to show both vendors products in my presentation.

Thanks for posting the other videos!

No worries. Just remember, everything you write on the internet is permanent and will be taken out of context :stuck_out_tongue:

Not that I didn’t recently learn that one myself here or anything :wink:

Pete

Architect gets a mention in #2. Nice! Go Module Maker Man, go!

@ ransomhall

Yep, definitely needed to have a shout-out to Architect, given all the cool stuff he’s been doing with gadgeteer modules.

Truth be told, as I read through some of the threads on this forum, I am awed by the talent and creativity on display. You all do some cool stuff, and it’s inspiring.

Part 4 (“Pete builds an LED Scanner”):

(in which Pete realizes he neglected to apply the button module patch on his demo machine…d’oh!)

Thank you! I am a little bit busy with Stanford classes. As soon as I get more free time I will make everything available,so anybody can make the modules.

Pete has thoughtfully put together a blog post with all the videos in one place, so rather than continuing to spam the forum with multiple posts, here’s a link to Pete’s video roundup from our CMAP session:

[url]http://10rem.net/blog/2011/11/18/our-net-micro-framework-and-net-gadgeteer-talk-at-cmap-code-camp-2011[/url]

Any comments, suggestions for future demos, or corrections are welcome!