Main Site Documentation

My Kickstarter project just went live


#1

Finally! My Kickstarter project just went live. I now have much more respect for other people that started a KickStarter project. Its a lot more work than what I thought. And man… I just realized that my voice and accent is not cut out for videos with sound. I almost got cold feet at the last minute and did not go live. But then I thought "What the heck. All the hard work has been done. Just try it for fun and see what happens. So here we go…

Anyway, I hope you guys will have a look and give some feedback of what you think. Its not quite based on NETMF project, but at least I mentioned Gadgeteeer several times in my video and documentation. Its a Raspberry Pi based text to speech module than can easily interface to Gadgeteer or Arduino boards via simple UART interface. I used Arduino for the examples in my video.

Please check out my project and I encourage you to ask questions that I can add to a FAQ.

The link is https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/raspivoice/raspivoice


#2

Not my cuppa tea, but good effort for getting your idea online :slight_smile:


#3

Thanks Justin. Especially coming from someone like yourself.

I am quite interested to see how a project like this one will go down. It’s basically just a firmware app I’m selling as the Raspberry Pi does have everything else required. I could have done the project without the interface board, but wanted to use it as it also provided me with a way to copy protect the code. The is a small Microchip controller on the interface board that acts as a kind of software dongle. This way I can allow users to freely upgrade or install their own Pi’s without having to worry about copy protection. People have to have the interface board on the Pi for the program to work.

Originally I started this project as a Cerberus with Wave Player module. But it became a bit too expensive when all the required boards are added together.

Next I made one based a Arduino Yun. That worked great but was still a bit too expensive.

I then tried Arduino Due, had too many issues with sound quality, file names etc. And it was still rather expensive.

The Raspberry Pi turned out to be perfect for this kind project. I’m not a big fan of Linux and Python and such, but I was still able to C++ and Visual Studion to develop and debug this project. It was actually quite a nice environment to work in, and I would definetely consider using the Pi in future projects as well.


#4

Congrats on getting your project going. Hope if does well!


#5

Sounds like like a fun project to make this avail via some old GHI boards (cerb 40 I) I’ve got laying around and put it to some use …