My holiday project: FEZ Cobra internet tree

you can access it now.

You have this IP:port hardcoded for the FEZ http://84.x.x.x:4444/

while a ping to robertjacobs.eu return this: 46.y.y.y

are you running from 2 different internet locations?

My website is on a different server, yes.
This setup runs from my house ip.

The control website and webcam are pulled in by a iframe (don’t shoot me :smiley: )

I can see everything in Chrome now. I can see the color sliders in IE now but still no plugin. May be a company policy thing… If I change the colors in Chrome, it doesn’t seem to be changing the lights.

Ianlee, probably because chrome messes up the webserver.
It crashed again, so I had to do a reset.

About the plugin: strange. It works here and from other ip addresses.

Ok. I restarted IE then went to your page and left it up. It took a LOOOOONG time (3-4 minutes) before it finally asked me to install the plugin again. I said yes and nothing changed initially. I waited a 3-4 more minutes and finally it popped up the dialog confirming I wanted to install the add-in. After that I now have video! However, I can only get the slider to show up every so often. Does that really need to be a separate IFrame? You might look at changing the sliders to be part of the main screen.

Also, you might see about hosting the plugin files on some free web space somewhere that can handle higher traffic to offload some of the work from your home web server.

The light colors are really washed out in the video. Most colors appear white. It might help if you turn off the other lights in the room.

Ianlee you are right, thanks for the tips.
The main problem will be that it is hosted from my home ISP.
It is now clear to me that it cannot handle the traffic at all.

Basically how it’s made now is that there is a website running on my website webserver which pulls both parts (the sliders and the webcam feed) from my home address.

I can see the video stream, but the panel below it (is that where the sliders should be?) shows an error:

I don’t know if this might be related or not, but I was using the web server built into the gadgeteer ethernet driver to receive data in a way that sounds similar to what you’re doing with the tree, and it would crash on me like clockwork after a short period of heavy traffic (I was feeding it data from a Kinect sensor, which runs around 30fps). I ended up switching to using UDP since it was more lightweight and performant than using HTTP.

PS - I’ve tried on both FF 8.01 and IE 9. In both cases, I can see the video stream, but the iframe below the video stream times out.

Just gave it another try. Works great!!! Awesome! Good job.

@ Robert
This is really cool 8)
I’m looking forward to seeing how you did it.

I’m getting a javascript error when I access your site.
This may be an issue that needs looking at.

EDIT: It occurs every time I hover over the bottom panel.

Wouter was kind enough to have a look at the problem.
The exact problem is unknown, but it has to do with the http listener, which he can’t solve.

To get around this bugs inside the http listener everything is now posted with a GET instead of a POST to the cobra.

Wouter pointed me out how to change my AJAX to send GET instead of POST.
He also changed the javascript so that a form refresh is not needed anymore.

This seems a good solution to get things working.

Thanks a lot Wouter!!!

Ian, what version of IE are you using, 32 or 64 bit? I could not see the tree while using the 64 bit version but I can with the 32 bit. See if you can try that.

If the webcam is buggy or slow I can’t help it.
It’s the connection and the plugin.

If you can’t see the tree make sure you change some colors though, just for fun :slight_smile:

Hi Robert, I meant how Ian had the plug-in missing. The plug-in does not appearently work in the 64 bit IE, at least it seemed that way for me. :slight_smile: When I used IE 32bit, the plug-in worked.

Me and my girlfriend are using 64 bit also and it is working fine.
I am not sure why it is not working.

Aron, did you change some colors? ;D
Let it blink! 8)

Yes I did. It is pretty cool. I don’t know why IE wants to be a pain, but I was able to see it. :slight_smile: Have happy holidays.

Isn’t IE always a pain? :smiley:

Happy holidays!

;D

Robert, awesome job :wink:

The connection to the cobra is still dead after some time because of socket errors.
This results in a non-responsive board which I need to reset every now and then.

I have taken it offline now.
I will put it online tomorrow morning and at around 5pm local time I will take it offline for good.

Too bad that some http bug made this project fail, because all the electronics work.

I will release the source code and the electronics schematics tomorrow.

Hope everyone has seen it by then :slight_smile:
Thanks for your compliments and I will make a video tomorrow :slight_smile: