My first stupid question

I’ve been playing around with a Spyder board and find that if I deploy a program to the board, run it, then decide to make changes to the program and re-deploy, I either get components no longer being found in their sockets or failure to re-deploy. I usually have to plug components into a different socket or re-boot my computer to get this cleared up. What am I doing wrong??? Just un-plugging the USB cable does not fix the problem.

Thanks

I started with something simple, just changing the colors of the tri-colored LED. I wanted them to cycle red-green-yellow like a traffic light, but my green was blue and I had to add the code to swap the colors. I had a button in socket 4 and the LEDs in socket 5. When I updated the code and tried to run I got an error message saying there were no LEDs in socket 5. I eventually plugged them into another socket and everything worked OK. I made a couple of other program changes and got the same error message as before, saying that there were no LEDs in the new socket. I plugged them back into socket 5 and everything was OK again.

The other problem occurred when I ran the sample camera/display project. The program ran fine, taking pictures every second, but when I tried to modify the program to use the WPF class to add text I got an error message saying that there was no device to deploy to.

I am using a USB3 port and its power source. Using VS2010 to write the code.

Try using a powered USB hub.

.NET Gadgeteer Application (NETMF 4.2)

There have been some USB3 issues mentioned in the past but nothing concrete announced that there’s a problem - so Ian’s suggestion of a powered USB hub will help eliminate that assuming you get a USB2 hub.

One other question that nobody has asked you yet is about the firmware update. Can you confirm you are running the 4.2 firmware - go into MFDeploy and show Device Capabilities and confirm that it matches the documented version in the readme file for the GHI SDK.

I can’t say I have heard anyone else with issues that an app would not be able to detect an LED that was working. That to me seems like an intermittent connection issue between the LED and mainboard. I’d first swap out the little Gadgeteer cable going to the LED and see if that makes a difference, I’d the sockets on the LED and the mainboard to see if there’s bent pins at all, and I’d then check if the sockets themselves look properly soldered or if there’s anything obvious that looks wrong with them.

Finally, welcome to the forum and enjoy your spider :slight_smile:

Thanks for the suggestions, I’ll try them when time permits. I did do a fresh install of the firmware and .NET/Gadgeteer software.

Quark

As ianlee74 suggested.

Use a powered USB Hub. I know that my PC will NOT supply enough power to the Spider without one.
I will also say that I had a Powered USB hub that did not work either. It was a very low cost one (I forget the brand name.)

Open your Device Manager and be sure that you can see the Debuggable .Net Micro Framework Device.
It will not be there if you loose the driver or it did not start. See attached image.

By the way… There is no such thing as a stupid question…

I used to get this a lot too, a powered USB hub should help. Still happens sometimes, but it’s more infrequent now. It just seemed to taper off over time, like maybe Windows got better about finding the drivers or something. Of course, now my system won’t power on if I forget to unplug the hub until after post so it would seem to be a tradeoff…

If you are plugging into the front of your PC, you could try plugging into the motherboard directly. The USBs built into the motherboard will tend to have more power than front of the case USBs.

quick update… I switched to a USB2 port and my problems went away. I didn’t have a external supply that would work with the board, but I don’t seem to need it.