My EasyPeasy project is finally on Indiegogo

Feels like this took me much longer than anticipate I have finally taken the plunge and launched my first Arduino/Raspberry Pi project on Indiegogo.

It is a small board with 433 Mhz transmitter and receivers on it, as well as a few usefull essentials like RGB led, button , temperature sensor, buzzer etc. But the really cool feature is that you can either plug it into a Raspberry Pi or alternatively plug an Arduino Pro Micro into it. It has all the resistor dividers and drivers to ensure it works on Raspberry Pi’s 3V3 as well as on the Arduino’s 5V world.

The main purpose of it is to make it extremely easy for peope to make cheap wireless sensors that can do things sending temperature or an analog signal wirelessly to another board. Or use the RGB led as a wireless status led etc. This is done by supplying good C++ examples and libraries for both Arduino and RPi.

I designed it mainly for Arduino and RPi was to keep its costs as low as possible, but of course nothing stops one from also sending radio signal to a NETMF board as well. I even exposed the usused signals like UART en SPI bus onto a connector with the same pinout as gadgeteer so it can be interfaced to so some Gadgeteer modules or even to a mainboard as well. (The serial lines already have the voltage divider resistors that makes it compatible with NETMF 3V3 world)

It would be great if any of you guys on this forum would be interested to support this campaign or even just comment on it. I have not gotten round to making a nice video for the project yet, but at least you can see the description here: EasyPeasy | Indiegogo

:think:

8 Likes

Just signed up for 5 easypeasy boards.

I was not able to specify 433 or 315, or what type of boards. Will that take place later?

@ terrence - Thank you very much for this. I promise you won’t regret it it. They work very well and the examples makes it extremely easy to get things working.

Yeah, once the campaign ends, I will get your email details from Indiegogo and then I will send out an email to ask these things.

I’m planning to add some videos to show the things in action and also to illustrate just how easy peasy it makes things for you. Probably should have done that before I launched the project, but I was too eager to get the ball rolling! :slight_smile:

Just for interest sake… On the boards I currently use, I had an Adafruit Neopixel LED, but unfortunately I just could not get it work on the Raspberry Pi 2. Strangely it worked well on the older Raspberry B+. So eventually I decided to just go for a regular RGB LED. Since I have to make another spin of the PCB, maybe I’ll try to design it that it will use a NeoPixel LED for the Arduino version and regular RGB for the Raspberry Pi. I like the Neopixel because you can change the brightness and add whole strings of Neopixels if you want. What would be your preference?

Yes, I have looked at that neopixel and it looks great. Add it to the arduino board and if you can’t get it working on pi, well I guess we will have to settle for less. Did adafruit lend any help?

@ KiwiSaner - How will the arduino boards be powered? Is there a coin battery or a barrel socket for a wall wart.

@ terrence - Yeah, I really like the fact tha twith the Neopixel one can have it as bright as you want and it also also much better color control than ordinary three color RGB LEDs. I think what will end up doing is make the design such that when you use it for Arduino then you get a Neopixel and when you use it for RPi then it will just be an ordinary RGB LED.

How will the arduino boards be powered?

The Arduino Pro Micro board (which is about the same size as a cerb40) does have micro USB connected and one can also power it by giving it 5V directly. I added extra pads for that.

Is there a coin battery or a barrel socket for a wall wart.
No there isn’t. Just the micro USB as described above. The EasyPeasy is essentially intended as a development board… to make it easy to prototipe proof of concept designs and then afterwards design you own board using the EasyPeasy reference design as a starting point.

Don’t know if you are familiar with the Arduino Pro Micro board. It is one of my favourite Arduino boards because of its small size, versatality and low price. I bought bundle deal of about 10 of these for myself from AlieExpress and paid about $3 or $4 each. They can do everyting the more common Arduno Uno board can do and more, but is so much more compact.

@ KiwiSaner - Yes, I have a few of the micro boards. Looking forward to using them with your new boards.

I am interested in using the PIR sensor in the is post. I wonder if you might have any insight into how to intercept the messages?

https://www.ghielectronics.com/community/forum/topic?id=19531

Just remember this one was designed for “Pro Micro” which is slighly different than the “Micro”. One has got the USB connector and the other not. And the pinouts is also slightly different.

Very simple. One of the examples that come with Arduino EasyPeasy allows you to see all kinds of info about the signal that the receiver see. You can just monitor what code it receives and use that in your own code.

In case you are interested, the PIR sensors I used which worked really well for me can be found on this link:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Wireless-PIR-motion-detector-infrared-detector-internal-antenna-no-battery-433-315-2262-for-security-alarm/1336510560.html

@ KiwiSaner - Thanks, I will check to see what boards I bought.

I am really interested in that link, but it is a dead end. I wonder if you could post it again?

Thanks.

never mind, I found the link on your indiegogo page.

1 Like

Good. Sorry about the mistake in the link. I fixed it up now. I also bought magnetic window/door sensors from that same company which also work very well. The range is good and batteries have been going several months now and still seem to be going strong.

@ KiwiSaner - I don’t guess the PIRs have a unique code that each one sends out do they? I have a need to know what room the motion was detected in.

@ terrence - Yes, it sends unique codes. I bought several and each of them was already set to send a different code when I received them from the supplier. But it is also possible to change the code with some jumpers in the PIR sensor. It repeats the code transmission about 5 times in quick succession to ensure you have a better chance of picking it up. The range is quite good, but even if you need bigger range you can always use one EasyPeasy as a range extender to double the range. (just re-transmits any signal it receives)

@ KiwiSaner - I have some of the PIRs now. I wonder if I could download your code so I could try and receive the PIR messages. The RCSwitch code I am using is not working…or most likely I am doing it wrong.

@ KiwiSaner - Any update on this Kiwi? It would be great if I could take a look at your code to see how you are connecting to these units. Thanks.