Music Module output signal is DC offset

@ andre.m - source?

@ Gus - I only did a quick check of the VLSI web site. For my project, Iā€™m not interested in adding any hardware, or modifying the music player board. I prefer to buy a board that has line out connections designed for connection to an external amplifier.

@ andre.m - Thanks. Where is this schematic from?

@ andre.m - Thanks. Our posts crossed.

@ Gus - And take the responsibility for the RLP-based driver as well and I will send you a magnificent Christmas present! Itā€™s not as easy as hoped for.

Please please please

@ andre.m - While the change is simple on the PCB, a change is very difficult for a productā€¦stock, distribution, part numbers, machine setupā€¦customers who do not want the new versionā€¦

However, I think this is a good change in the future.

ok guys, to assist me and others in actually using the music module we need a little extra hardware and some modifications of the module. Is it possible that some of you would draw the schematics and explain where to modify the existing module.

I have looked at the music module schematics and the suggested line-out schematics from the ic. But I dont want to harm anything, and would really appreciate the effort very much.

@ njbuch - we will gladly help. hopefully soon

1 Like

bump, I have tried for 6 months getting decent sound from the music module, and I am REALLY eager to close this projectā€¦

Can anyone help wiring the music module correctly and noise-free with an external amplifier??

Hi,
if the noise is only there when no music title is playing, perhaps it is possible to fill the gap with a title that cannot be heard ( frequency below 40 Hz or higher than 20.000 Hz).
Regards
Roland

Maybe this is not the answer you are looking for, but why donā€™t you stay in the digital domain a little longer? By using the I2S output the VS1053 provides you are able to connect to a DAC of choice with better sound properties and less cross-talk/noise.
A couple of things to keep in mind:

-The music module you are using probably has the I2S route wired to ground via pull down resistors.
Then you have to use a different VS1053 (break-out) board like the one Sparkfun sells:
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9943
-A couple additional lines of code have to be added to your source code in order to enable I2S output: VS1053: How to enable I2S ? - VSDSP Forum
-If you connect it to a DAC of choice, then have a look at the following guide coming from a Dutch website: VS1053 and VS1063 I2S outputs

Hope this helpsā€¦

@ RoSchmi - interesting idea, I think the zero-volume actually is as silent as possibleā€¦

@ djagab - very interesting idea, I think other people might be able to do what you propose, but to me it is a little too much hardware-tinkering.

Anyone else having ideas for line-out connections using the existing music module?

Do I understand you correct Andre, you got this info from VLSI ?

I finally got around to connecting my Panda 2 with Music Shield to this amplifier board:

https://www.parts-express.com/2x8w-@ -4-ohm-tpa3110-class-d-audio-amplifier-board-onlyā€“320-329

I connected the headphone output from the Music Shield to the headphone input of the amplifier with a 3.5 mm cable.

Iā€™m driving this ā€œin-ceilingā€ stereo speaker (sitting on my desk):

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-cs622c-6-1-2-stereo-ceiling-speaker--300-412

Iā€™m using separate wall-wart power supplies for the amplifier and the controller board.

The amplifier uses this power supply:

https://www.parts-express.com/12-vdc-3a-power-adapter--320-312

The sound is very good. No distortion and no extraneous noise or hum. There is no noise between songs.

1 Like

Thatā€™s really good.

I have looked at the parts, and they are not that different from the stuff I am using. So the only difference is the shared power-supply trick.

Can you confirm that it does not work with a shared power-supply? Or is it the specific power-supply that drives the amp which is the primary point here?

@ njbuch - If I plug the Panda into my computerā€™s USB port there is a lot of noise. If I share the amplifierā€™s power supply with the Panda it actually doesnā€™t play at all. I think there may be a ground loop problem or something??

Having two power supplies is not ideal :frowning:

2 separate power supplies will work as then there is no common ground and the GBUF line is effectively floating.

If you connect the grounds then you will get a problem. This is why plugging in the USB causes an issue. :slight_smile:

I see the same thing. If I connect my scope to any point on a board with USB disconnected, I get a floating ground effect on the scope display. This is with the scope probe ground not connected to the ground on the board.

If I connect the USB to the board then the scope display behaves as if the scope ground is connected. If I power off the scope and the computer, board etc and check resistance on the GND, they are all interconnected through the mains power ground. I have yet to remove the ground lead on my scope for this very reason.

Yep, I love it when the experts are working. Hope you will find a way outā€¦ ???

1 Like

Hi again, I am really sorry to tire you all with this line-out challenge. I know that Dave are really buzy earning money (I wish my Gadgeteer skills was at that level :think: ) - so his attempts are in the pipeline.

Can anyone else help me out of this misery, I already suspended my potential customer meeting twice, as I am not able to demonstrate a Gadgeteer system playing sound in a speaker. Which is REALLY embarrassing.

:open_mouth:

Hi Niels, I was going to send you an email.

I am having no luck with getting this to work with the GHI board. I still get lots of noise on the output from the amp. Even when playing back there is noise compared to the clean signal you get from a headphone.

Ahh, thats sad :frowning: thanks for the effort anyway. I am now having the DFRobot module tested in the similar setting. Not optimal, but a workable setupā€¦

Still hoping that some of you come up with a good ideaā€¦ :cry: