While building a POC of some autonomous controls for a distance rover, it became apparent that I needed to do a little testing on the different motor controllers and with different mainboards. I’m running 4.2 QFE2 and currently a Hydra and L298 Motor Controller module (MegaMotor has spent some time on the board and as soon as I order and receive a Chimp Driver module, it will get some time on the board). I actually had some motors connected to it but apparently at 4AM they were loud enough to wake the wife and after receiving a beating, I pulled out my old Micronta 22-211 meter which is no doubt older then half the forum members here, but its quiet. I was going to pickup a Extech EX330 tonight as I heard it was a reasonable multimeter, but maybe tomorrow.
So for example I have discovered with my L298 module, if you call motorControllerL298.MoveMotorRampNB you will get an exception:
Exception System.Exception - CLR_E_DIVIDE_BY_ZERO (7)
#### Gadgeteer.Modules.GHIElectronics.MotorControllerL298::MoveMotorRamp [IP: 002c] ####
#### Gadgeteer.Modules.GHIElectronics.MotorControllerL298::MoveMotorRampThreadStart [IP: 0019] ####
A first chance exception of type ‘System.Exception’ occurred in GTM.GHIElectronics.MotorControllerL298.dll
An unhandled exception of type ‘System.Exception’ occurred in GTM.GHIElectronics.MotorControllerL298.dll
Which is too bad as that is an ideal call, smooth ramp up, easy on the battery, electronics and mechanicals (this is where I think those graphing capable multimeters would be nice so I could see the ramp up/down), and an exception I’m sure is easily fixable (I hope). Once I work my way through all the motor controllers and report my findings to the approperiate folks, I will be able to get back to the originally schedule program.