More Terrance Teaseage

:smiley:

1 Like

That only proves that your battery is charged :wink:

You keep this up and Iā€™m going to have to buy into this LoraWan hoaxā€¦ :wall:

1 Like

@ ianlee74 - lol

@ Justin -
@ ianlee74 -

Please someone dispel the hoax, I am hyperventilating.

Waiting by the letterbox is getting old, itā€™s hot and humid here in Texas and I would like to go inside and get some sleep in a real bed.

Sounds like someone needs a NETMF/LoRaWAN powered mailboxā€¦ :think:

2 Likes

@ ianlee74 - we have the perfect chicken and egg situation :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I need something like that. There is no power at my apt mail box so I am still thinking of some way to detect when there is new mail deposited. I live on the 20th floor on the opposite side of the building so a radio link probably wonā€™t work too well.

@ Dave McLaughlin - [quote] live on the 20th floor on the opposite side of the building so a radio link probably wonā€™t work too well.[/quote]

I am planning on using RFM96 for my mailbox sensor because LoRaWAN is overkill, but I think it might work for you. They claim good penetration into buildings with LoRaWAN.

Aint you from Texas? - Wash your mouth out with soapā€¦

@ Bill Gates - [quote]Aint you from Texas? - Wash your mouth out with soapā€¦ [/quote]

Bill, I donā€™t get it? Are you referencing ā€œoverkillā€ as in everything is bigger, better mo-overkilled in Texas?

If so then I am on my way to the bathroom. I think I have some whiskey flavored soap. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Our speaker at our last NashMicro user group meeting used as a demo a LoRaWAN enabled mailbox that he built for his elderly in-laws. He used a Hall effect sensor. I think their housing situation is a bit different than yours, though :wink: You may need to go cellular.

Thatā€™s what I was thinking. It would have to keep it powered off in low power mode and then only power up and send an SMS if it detected the mail box being opened or a letter being posted through the open part at the top. We donā€™t have closed boxes like the US :slight_smile:

It would not matter if it took a minute or 2 to register on the network and then send the SMS as itā€™s only import to know that mail has arrived.

1 Like

Exactly what I was thinking.

I donā€™t think @ Terrence would agree to wait whole two minutesā€¦ :smiley:

Well that is for sure.

@ Dave McLaughlin
I am still voting for LoRaWAN, hereā€™s why.

1. LoRaWAN node plus sensor should be much cheaper than cellular option I would think. Technology in box is liable to be stolen at some point if you say they are not closed.
  2. LoRaWAN brags about great penetration in buildings.
  3. I want to hear your report about the great penetration you got when you implement your solution. :smiley:
  4. Once you have a LoRaWAN gateway in your apt, you can dangle an antenna out the window and cover miles of territory, prompting you to utilize the tech even more.
  5. Cell requires another sim card and monthly fees.
  6. No need to suffer though the 2 minute lag time!

OK. you convinced me to give it a try. :slight_smile: Iā€™ll see where I can order some modules to try it out and I will let you know if it works.

@ Dave McLaughlin - [quote] Iā€™ll see where I can order some modules to try it out and I will let you know if it works. [/quote]

Welcome to the club :clap: