More and more resources put in Arduino, but NETMF?

I love my Pi. It is hanging behind my TV running XBMC and streaming HD movies over the network. I love my USBizi controlling my reflow oven and connected to the FEZ touch for interaction. I love tons of POE Arduinos controlling doors and other good stuff in the office. Each device has more sense than the other - defined by a project. Looking forward to play with embedded JavaScript. :smiley:

I have been told that Microsoft is continuing to work on NETMF but there was a major change that caused the delay we seen lately. I also like to add that there are thousands of products by hundreds of companies running GHIā€™s product today. The satisfaction rate among these customer is extraordinary high.

What I am saying is that while things seem a bit dull now, NETMF is supported by Microsoft and very much used by GHI and hundreds of companies.

Yes, we would love to see more marketing and more companies using NETMF. This will benefit GHI and everyone who loves NETMF (everyone here?). As for development from Microsoft, it is going to happen but NETMF is all open source so the risk is still manageable. So, for those who love NETMF and want to see it used more, please click on the sharing tabs and spread the word. We have the on every forum post and every catalog page now. Then create some great projects and blog about them, then show us what you did so we and the immunity can blog as well. This will also show Microsoft more reasons to invest in NETMF.

1 Like

Do you/or others have a source for that info, I am interested in using that?

http://www.google.com/trends/explore?q=microduino#q=arduino&cmpt=q

No signs of depression there!

Interesting graph. But i believe that the success of a product is mostly determined by the power of marketing and not because of the quality or technology

The instability of netmf / hardware did not do much good for the mind set.

Personally i do not give up on netmf but trying hard to become independent of any supplier. At the same time investigating other hard and software options.

To me netmf has enough basic functionality for future products. I have done many years of embedded development and can admit that netmf is simply much more productive.

The people i know with a high degree of technical background with many years of experience in the embedded world love this technology.

1 Like

[quote=ā€œGusā€]
I have been told that Microsoft is continuing to work on NETMF but there was a major change that caused the delay we seen lately.[/quote]

Enlighten us, what is going on?

@ andre.m - We have SDK releases frequently. What do you mean? The current release is 99.9% perfect. With the SDK coming in few days, 4.2 is as stable as 4.1 and even better. This includes G400.

[quote=ā€œnjbuchā€]

I have a conference call with them in few days. I would rather them post and talk about the details so I will request this from them.

ā€œin few daysā€ now lasts since two weeks ago :slight_smile: And if it really doesnā€™t happen in the next few days and/or G400 doesnā€™t stop crashing, then I fear my boss is going to consider alternatives to NETMFā€¦

@ Simon from Vilnius - your finding caused the extra week actually. The SDK was done last week but we didnā€™t release because we wanted to do more testing. It will likely release on Tuesday if all went well.

Well, Iā€™m both glad and sad. Good side you fix the bugs; bad side we are on a really tight schedule, as we ship a prototype (to USA, by the way) with a G400 ā€” in two weeks. Huge future orders depend on how this prototype performs. So thatā€™s why Iā€™m a bit nervous, because G400 is still far from stableā€¦ Lots of expectations are now put in the new SDK.

By the way, I actually have another 100% bug that kills the firmware completely, but thereā€™s no way Iā€™m gonna report it before you ship the SDK :slight_smile: I donā€™t want any additional delays :slight_smile:

Soā€¦ Christmas is comingā€¦ Dear Gus, I was a very good boy this year. Please ship the new SDK tommorowā€¦

I agree it took too long but to my knowledge,current release is stable. This was not due to less work on our end but due to thehuge count of products we have released in a relatively short time.
Maybe the past delay left a bad taste in your mouth :slight_smile: The one thing left if the SSL issue but this does not label the entire software as unstable, nor everyone use SSL.

We can share what we have with you before it is public if you have an urgent commercial need. We do his all the time. But with public release coming, I suggest you wait.

We are purposely holding on not releasing 4.3, which is not much different from 4.2 by the way. Once we switch to 4.3, you can no longer use VS2010, which is not okay by many users so we are trying to delay this as much as possible. Otherwise, the HAL on NETMF is the same as 4.2, so we can switch to 4.3 very easily.

What other issues? I just checked release notes and post release notes and they seem up to date with all I am aware of and nothing there is a concern, except for SSL? If you mean G400, that is a very new product and the coming SDK completes it anyway. Our plan was to finish it before the end of the year, so we are over 2 months early.

I personally believe that the keyword for GHI is ā€œmanaging expectationsā€

I think you and I have a complete different view. I will leave it at that.

Well, NETMF raises the bar for expectations very quickly. The whole platform allows a very productive development, but bugs are bugs: they exist in every system.

When I code in Arduino, my expectations are not very high, thus I donā€™t care much of the bugs. Itā€™s a simple system anyway. But when I code in NETMF, sometimes I start feeling that the sky is the limit :slight_smile: Usually, 10 minutes later I ram into the the bug that brings me back to earth. Itā€™s still only one bug, as in Arduino, but it hurts a much more capable and complicated system.

However, who remembers how many man-years NETMF saved compared to native programming? All we care is The Bug :slight_smile:

@ Blue Hair Bob - indeed, sadly clients tend to think they know more than they really doā€¦

From a few whispers i have overheard i donā€™t think 2013 support is too far away, and if you cant wait you can follow Janā€™s blog and get it running now :slight_smile:

This is the blog Justin is talking about
http://informatix.miloush.net/microframework/Articles/VS2013PreviewSDK.aspx

1 Like