Maximum input frequency of Pulse InOut Module

Are there any detailed specs available on the Pulse InOut Module?

I understand that the function of the module is to read pulses and supply the resulting value to the mainboard, so is there an established limit to the rate at which pulses can be read?

I’ve looked at http://www.ghielectronics.com/catalog/product/392 but could not find any reference to the max freq supported on the inputs.

I note it has a 50MHz processor, however I’m guessing I can’t just divide by 8?

I need to read 8 inputs simultaneously at a minimum of 250Hz, however I’d like to know what the upper limit is both per input and aggregate for the module.

Thanks in advance

[quote]
http://www.ghielectronics.com/catalog/product/392

Advanced developers can take advantage of the 50 Mhz processor used on this module to handle specific tight-timing robotic needs by modifying the open-source C-language software.[/quote]

Thanks, but I mentioned in the question that I was assuming I can’t rely on the processor speed to determine the max input rate.

Following the same logic, a Panda II has a 72MHz processor, but can’t handle 2,000 interrupts per second, which is why someone suggested this module to me.

I started this thread because I was asked to move it out of http://www.tinyclr.com/forum/topic?id=9391

That has more info on what I am after.

Maximum we tested that is 1000Hz.

Is that total for the board or per input?

Are there actual specs available for this module? all I can find is 7 lines of text (two of which are marked as TBD) a schematic, and a link to an empty page.

If i need to read 8 inputs concurrently at >250Hz what board / module should I be using?

Expect an answer from Dat during business hours please.

Thanks Gus… all good, I know it’s after hours and I’m not expecting immediate responses… I guess I’m just at a loss as to what further info I need to provide.

I’m sorry if this is the wrong spot to be asking; I’m usually happy to self serve… it’s just that the product info is sort of light on, and I need some pre-sales help before I jump in. I wouldn’t normally go to the community for this, but I wasn’t sure where else to ask.

• I need to read input from sensors generating pulses.
  • There are many of these I need to read (hundreds) but ideally I’d like to deal with them in groups of 8.
  • The devices are capable of generating pulses at a rate of up to 250Hz each, though potentially in the future we may have sensors up to 1000Hz.
  • I need to be able to capture all the pulses for all sensors even if they are all going at full rate.
  • I need to read a delta of these pulses for each of the sensors at an interval of 10 seconds over an Ethernet network, ideally via an IP socket or HTTP.

All of the above I stated in my original post, where I was looking at the Panda II, however the advice I received was that it would have difficulty handling the 2000Hz interrupts aggregate that I would need to support 8 sensors.

It was then you suggested that I look at the Pulse InOut module, as it would do the counting and supply the resulting value to the main-board; so I set off to understand what the capacity of that board is, though now it looks as though it’s even less than the Panda II.

Is there any further information I could supply that would assist in suggesting the best board / modules to use for this?

OK… will do.

Thanks

If you need <= 1000Hz, all 8 pins input of Pulse In Out module can do that.

To be clear, the PulseInOut module, with its stock firmware, reads the pulse width (high and low) and store them in a virtual register, no buffering. You will then read those virtual registers from the mainboard. You will not be able to read all 250hz on 8 input contiguously and there is no buffering mechanism. Instead, you will read the last known value and miss all ones received before that.

OK… thanks.