Low cost WiFi Gadgeteer module (IL-G-ESP8266)

The module shown below is an ESP8266 based WiFi module for Gadgeteers From IoT Labs. It will be priced at $20.00(US) + shipping. Since the modules come from China and take about a month to get to the US, I’d like to get a rough idea of how many to order. So, If you are interested in a module, please indicate how many modules you would like in a comment. This is not a commitment to buy the module, just my way of judging how many I need to purchase for the initial run.

NOTE 1: Even though the module I am using has a FCC mark, this module is not certified by the regulatory agency and therefore is only suitable for the hobbyist market. It should not be used in a commercial product.

NOTE 2: The firmware for the module is still in flux and out of my control, so it is not as stable as I would like it to be.

6 Likes

2x please

2x as well please.

Ehm, let me think … :think: … I’ll take three, my mom always said all good things come in three …

Hi Mike,
the SOC has received FCC certification :), just make sure you get the right ones from your disti …

here is the certification :slight_smile:
http://fccid.net/number.php?fcc=2AC7Z-ESP8266EX&id=794971#axzz3UAiFu2J8

Since I’m the bearer of good news, tell me when will I get my FREE three (following PiWi Mom’s advice) of those Gadgeteer Modules!

Of yah and CE certified as well here is the news: http://espressif.com/en/espressif-systems/news-events/

Cheers,
Jay.

@ Jay Jay - I knew the chipset was certified, but the modules are not. But thanks for the clarification, and I am not sure that qualifies for FREE modules. :cry:

dang, I guess information isn’t as valuable as it used to be :whistle: so in that case can I just get the library to play with ;D

Single Modular Approval. Power listed is conducted. Approval is limited to OEM installation only. Compliance of this device in all final host configurations is the responsibility of the Grantee. This device is to be used only for mobile and fixed applications. The antenna(s) used for this transmitter must be installed to provide a separation distance of at least 20cm from all persons and must not transmit simultaneously with any other antenna or transmitter or in accordance with FCC multi-transmitter product procedures. OEM integrators must be provided with antenna installation instructions and labeling requirements for finished products. OEM integrators and end-Users must be provided with transmitter operation conditions for satisfying RF exposure compliance. This grant is valid only when the device is sold to OEM integrators and the OEM integrators are instructed to ensure that the end user has no manual instructions to remove or install the device. Separate approval is required for all other operating configurations, including portable configurations with respect to 2.1093 and different antenna configurations.

Power output is conducted. Single Modular Approval.
The antenna(s) used for this transmitter must not be co-located or operating in conjunction with any other antenna or transmitter except in accordance with FCC multi-transmitter product procedures. Only those antenna(s) tested with the device or similar antenna(s) with equal or lesser gain may be used with this transmitter. End-users and installers must be provided with antenna installation instructions and transmitter operating conditions for satisfying RF exposure compliance.

The Grantee is responsible for providing the documentation required for modular use. The responsibility for the use of this module, in all configurations utilized or contemplated, remains with the Grantee.

Guess which 1 is better…

@ Jay Jay - “so in that case can I just get the library to play with”, perhaps we can work something out. How did you get the module to stay up for over 1M calls? PM me.

I have several of the ESP chips with no board to go with them, already. Can I get 2 fully populated boards and maybe 5 boards with everything except the ESP chip (depending on price)?

I will start with one.

Two please. Rough guess on power consumption?

I will take one too.

put me down for two

I would like one if you accept Canadian, and shipping is cheap

@ ianlee74 - I get the modules fully populated from China, so I do not have a way to provide them w/o the ESP chip

I will take three

Reserve 1 for me, in case I get a job soon? :smiley:

That’s 20 so far, if I am counting correctly!

I would love this option too :slight_smile: but please one for me.