LIPO battery VS. Racing pack

Ah, oops, I didn’t put 2 and 2 together there.

Hehe no problem Chris. I am thinking of buying a second hand lab power supply too.
These are the specs:

0-20V
0-25A

This is a big boy for $95. Could not find any power supply this powerfull in any shop for this price 8)

I’m tempted to get a lab power supply as well - but can’t find one that cheap! Wow - good price Robert!

“Nobody ever said this crap would be cheap ::)” http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=9291

@ Chris - 1 left in stock, I’ve been eyeballing it personally trying to decide if I want to drop $250 on a power supply…

I saw a bunch of those in person when I toured Sparkfun last year. Nate said they really liked them. They had a bunch of them lined up in their testing room.

Those are really nice looking power supplies, and the price is very good for something like that.

Yes they look very nice! I guess it’s still “you get what you pay for” :slight_smile:

That is very much the case. Would you rather have your circuit overvolted by a cheap Chinese one?

I HATE made in China cheap stuff.
Sometimes (like with this battery and charger) I overstep my line of “I do not pay for China stuff” :smiley:

Robert,

Watch my blog tonight (tomorrow morning for you?). I have something on there you might like. Right now I have the first of two posts up about it. I just completed the power system for RWAr, which is exactly what you are looking for. Pictures coming soon.

EDIT: If you don’t already know: chrisseto.com

@ Chris - you ever hear back from Nate?

Unfortunately, no.

Wah. I don’t want to figure out how to make that power supply and I can’t hook my battery up directly! sigh

Greg, I am in communication with GHI on this, also. I’m going to see about using some of my consulting credit to maybe get a board designed. We can get the board made by BatchPCB then just buy the components and solder it together.

Nate replied. He suggested:

http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=9370
http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=9948

Did he CC you on the reply? I CC’d you on the response.

The only problem with those boards is that they only go up to 5V. We need something that fills in the gap between 5V and 9V.

No I know 5.5VDC is the max output - I saw that.

Which is fine for the Domino and Netduino, although I’d prefer a full 7-9VDC to power them “safely”.

As long as the 5V doesn’t fluctuate a lot (RE: Amplitude, not wave length) it should be ok. I would really prefer to use the uC boards’ regulators, though. For one, it makes it a lot easier to connect power with those barrel connectors. I always worry about my hook up wire falling out. In fact, that did happen once. I lost power to my steering servo during one run. Luckily, it wasn’t the connection next to it; RX power. If RX power had fallen out, the car would have gone totally out of control and would have probably run into a tree or a neighborhood kid at 30MPH.