KiCad

Sure. Here you go.

It has Gadgeteer stuff in there, plus other microcontroller stuff, and a number of synth-related items including modular synth power connectors, audio jacks, MIDI jack, opto-isolator, NES gamepad jack, and more. Plus, Cherry MX keyboard switch for a project I’m considering.

Also, it’s probably one of only a few libraries out there that includes the MOS 6581 SID chip :slight_smile:

http://1drv.ms/1pSai5u

Feel free to use it in any way that helps you out. If you add any cool stuff you want to share, or find any problems, let me know. (One bug I do know of is my OSHW symbol appears empty for some reason, but I haven’t used it in a while so haven’t bothered fixing it.)

Pete

1 Like

@ Pete Brown - Speaking of SID. Where do you get it eBay?

eBay and Craigslist. I would buy Commodore 64 and 128 computers that had damage making them less interesting to collectors or to people actually using a commodore. Of the ones I bought, only one was missing a SID chip, so I was pretty lucky.

I also have a couple NOS chips I bought when I helped support the SammichSID project from MIDIBox some time ago. Those are the later model SID chips that run on lower voltage.

My intent is to build an interesting voicecard-based polysynth out of these. I have enough SID chips. Now I just need the time :slight_smile:

SID chips need surprisingly little external componentry to work. A couple caps for the filters and then the usual decoupling stuff and that’s it, as long as you have a microcontroller that can send address/data and clock.

FWIW, I’m doing the same thing with the Oberheim Matrix 6. For that one, I sacrificed a couple rack mount synths though. Pretty sure that will not make me any friends in the classic synth collector community :stuck_out_tongue:

Pete

@ Pete Brown - Makes sense. I don’t know if you have seen this, but there is some cool projects with old synthesizer chips and modern controllers.

http://www.worldwidewebside.com/brianpeters/?page_id=209

Thanks yes. Someone sent that to me on Facebook (I seem to have a reputation for old computers and synthesizers ). Great reference.

Pete

Thank you so much, looking great. Love the 3D thing in Diptrace

I’m really happy with DipTrace. No program is perfect, but DipTrace is as close as I have gotten. I like that I can just pick it up and work, without having to put my brain in a completely different usage mindset.

The boards rendered in 3d in this album were all done in DipTrace. There are a couple EAGLE boards there as well (like the Gadgeteer version of the NES gamepad module)

Pete

1 Like