Main Site Documentation

Just got my Cobra; having some (probably minor) issues

I’ll admit, I’ve only been playing with this for an hour or two tops, starting with the typical LED blink test, and moving on from there. Keep in mind that I have [italic]almost[/italic] no idea what I’m doing, but I was making a lot of progress until I hit a wall. I decided to play with the OutputCompare class following example code for sending bytes serially(?).

I added the necessary assemblies to the project as stated in the guide, but upon execution on the device(?), I’m getting:

Link failure: some assembly references cannot be resolved!!

Assembly: FEZ Cobra Console Application (1.0.0.0) needs assembly 'GHIElectronics.NETMF.Hardware' (4.1.5.0)

Assembly: FEZ Cobra Console Application (1.0.0.0) needs assembly 'Microsoft.SPOT.Hardware' (4.1.2821.0)

Assembly: FEZCobra_GHIElectronics.NETMF.FEZ (4.1.5.0) needs assembly 'Microsoft.SPOT.Hardware' (4.1.2821.0)

Error: a3000000

Among a lot of : ‘Invalid native checksum’ errors.

My intuition tells me that the likely reason is an out of date firmware, so it can’t link against the libraries on the device due to the failed checksum, so it has different library versions(?).

I went ahead and checked to see what firmware version I have, and it looks to be up to date, 4.1.3.0 . All of this stuff could be wrong though. I’ll try updating the firmware, but what do you guys think? I’m sure it’s just a common noob-ish mistake - forgot to do something simple, or missed a necessary installation step.

Edit: Forgot to do a search for these keywords. Looks like the general method to fix these issues is to update the firmware - sorry about that.

You are right. It is firmware issue. Either firmware is old or sdk is old. Open release notes file in the root of sdk on your pc to see version number

Sure was. I updated the firmware, and everything works like a charm. I even got it to communicate with the 4D Systems µVGA-II : http://www.4dsystems.com.au/prod.php?id=131 over COM1! I still have some bugs to work out, and I’m not paying attention to receiving the device’s acknowledgment responses, but I have it changing the background colors randomly, clearing the screen, resetting the device, etc. I tried to communicate with it using the general IO pins with an OutputCompare, but it was pretty flaky.

It would be great to see what you can do with Cobra and that VGA module.