Main Site Documentation

Is there a way to increase ethernet speed?

Hello,

I want to send data-arrays with ethernet from my cobra board to the pc. The time between two Socket.Send{…} is 5-8 msec if my packet is between 1-1470 Bytes. Is there a way to increase the speed for the send function? It would be great if i can send in every msec.

Only by sending larger packets

Thanks for your answer.
I think that larger packets are not the solution. the time between the packets should be less to react quickly to events at the cobra-side.

Run Wireshark on the PC and inspect the packets. Make sure they are not padded up to the MTU size or there isn’t a delay between transmissions. Experiment with different buffer sizes… Maybe there is a sweet spot?

The fact that a 1 byte to 1470 bytes takes the same time tells me something is buffering up to the MTU size before sending. Can you convince it to send earlier?

Make sure the Nagle algorithm is disabled on the sending socket. This is done by setting the NoDelay TCP socket option to true.

When someone says there is a delay between packets, Nagle is usually the reason. But, 8ms is low for the delays I am used to seeing.

Im sending with UDP. So the Nagle algorithm cant be the problem.
1 byte to 1470 bytes doesnt take the same time. But 1 byte takes about 3ms and 1470 about 7ms. 3ms is because of the overhead and I cant make it faster, can I?
I think I have to live with it.

Thank you for your answers.

is garbage collection occurring a lot?

what is your total transmit rate?

How should I know if its occuring a lot?
My total transmit rate is about 1Byte/3ms=333B/s respectivily 1470Byte/7ms=210000B/s.

You will see GC messages occurring in output window.

210000B/s is an good rate for a 72MHZ processor.

There are no GC messages.

So I think I`m ok with my delays and rate.
Thanks for all your help.