IO60P16 Controlled 3x3x3 LED Cube

I took a break from working on the IO60P16 driver tonight and decided to give it a “real world” test. I hooked it up to my 3x3x3 LED cube and it took less than 10 minutes to change the current cube driver to work with the IO60P16. This was justification that the object module we’re using for this driver is worth the effort. If NETMF would add port interfaces then zero code would have to be modified. Sorry for the sideways cam and the dim LEDs. This cube was built to be powered directly from FEZ ports which give a bit higher voltage than the IO60P16. When I have time, I’ll add some more transistors to the cube and drive it from the 5V line. I’m very impressed with this little module. Each LED is being illuminated one at a time. Each illumination requires an I2C command. Performance-wise, I can’t tell any difference in speed between a cube powered by the IO60P16 and one powered directly by a Panda-II. Enjoy!

Here’s the same cube controlled by a Panda-II last year:

Nice

Awesome … finally you did it !!!
I thing the driver is coming to life …

Well done

Pretty darn cool!

Did you have to program the entire sequence “frame” by “frame”?

Do you use a jagged array?

@ mhectorgato - you can download all the source code for netmfx.LedCube from:

http://netmfx.codeplex.com

Basically, each effect is defined by a class and how it’s rendered varies from effect to effect. Most of these are currently using loops and light one LED at a time. There’s certainly plenty of room for improvement. This is v1 that I did last year mostly as a proof of concept. I’ve identified a few things that need to be redesigned when I ported it to use the IO60P16 that would make it a little more portable. Some day I’ll build a bigger cube and work on the driver some more. Enjoy!