Introducing UPnP NETMF Stack!

I don’t have a Vonets, but it doesn’t look like something I want to attach to every project. What powers the Vonets? Perhaps there’s a module it’s using that we could include in our projects for a slimmer cheaper solution that doesn’t include the casing & cables.

The Vonets bridge is a power hungry. I’ve never tried it on a battery, and use a 6-9V 1A transformer. It has enough pass through power for most uC requirements. It also gets really warm, even if not doing its job. Bulky for sure.

Vonets bridge: vonets wifi bridge for sale | eBay
ENC28J60: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-ENC28J60-Ethernet-LAN-Network-Module-Schematic-For-Arduino-51-AVR-LPC-STM32-/350585962026?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51a08d3e2a

I don’t deal with Gadgeteer, so I have much less expensive options…

Just throwing this out there… Wifi to Ethernet bridge for $25 anyone? TP-Link TL-WR703N – Madox.NET

So you still need Ethernet capability on your device, because this is just a router. Then a hardwire cable between Fez and WR703N, back to your Access Point. With some smarts, you could probably even have the Fez update the router config to connect to a different AP.

There are other good options out there, but WiFi is just simply more expensive than ethernet. One good option that is available is a one-module-plus-one-chip solution, which would be about $30-$35 just in hardware costs. No NDAs required, however, so it could be implemented on Cerberus and Hydra.

What do you think about the Electric Imp solution?

https://electricimp.com/product/

I’m in their developer preview program but haven’t yet ordered any kits due to lack of time to try them out. It’s a tiny solution with a lot to like for $25.

i think the keyword here is CLOUD…

i hope I’m wrong and this device won’t be connected to a dedicate cloud service that you have to pay for to fully use.

I guess I’m an oddity, because I don’t want to connect everything in my house to the internet, I just want to connect it to the home network. That’s why I love my Radio Thermostat. While there is a webservice, it’s also controllable via the local network, and does not require an internet connection like many/most wifi thermostats.

I think it’s totally dependent on their cloud service and the UI & workflow solution it provides. I’m mostly interested in how they are connecting a tiny SD card to WiFi. Whatever is in there should be ported over to a Gadgeteer module or even better added to a mainboard.

It’s not an SD card, it’s a WiFi module in an SD card shape.

Sorry, I wasn’t clear. My question is what set of WiFi components could be small & cheap enough to fit into a SD size and sell for only $25 (compared to $125 for the RS21 WiFi module). And that includes it’s own Cortex-M3 microcontroller.

Would something like this work? (It’s an EyeFi 4GB SB card w/WiFi for $39)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=683276&Q=&is=REG&A=details

ST offers a Cortex-M3 in a 64BGA package, 5mm by 5mm. NXP (among many others) offers a Cortex-M3 in a 33QFN package, 7mm by 7mm by 0.85mm. Given that an SD card is 32×24×2.1mm, that leaves a lot of room, especially since a chip house could place the ARM core and the baseband processor in the same package to save space (and money). These tiny little packages go for as little as $1.70 in ones.

The RS21 module is not, as these things go, cheap, small, or easy to work with.

@ mhectorgato - I have 8GB EyeFi (Sandisk branded), but you can’t use as WIFI access. I tested it in FEZ spider environment, but you can only send images and video to a PC, but no more. This card have open source available, but it’s not 100%. They need probably lot of hacking. It seems that this cards use ARM Cortex mpu inside.

Hi guys,
Just a quick update…
I’ve been away from the project the last few days due to the reset issue with my spider:
http://www.tinyclr.com/forum/topic?id=8430
I have ordered a new Mountaineer Ethernet board waiting impatiently for it to arrive, along with few Enc28j modules for my hydra and Cerberus, once I get them delivered I will resume programming…

The frame work works great very stable left it running for two days without issues, the device is always discovering and is discoverable, I’v implemented a method to limit the total sockets used to only four for panda and the likes and of course you can increase that to however you want based on the device you are using… It works on the spider but the real test will be on an actual panda…which I do not have a connect shield for, so we will know once I release the code, hopefully a member will volunteer to test…

I’m currently developing the framework against 4.1 with the idea of compatibility with 4.2 where possible…again this will improve once 4.2 is out…

That’s it for now…

2 Likes

Hi Jay Jay,

Sorry if I’ve missed this, but I’ve been away from this discussion for a while. Has your code been published yet?

Again… great work !!

Thanks.

Hi jasdev,
Thank you for the encouragements.
no the code hasn’t been published yet because my spider refused to deploy in the middle of cleaning up the code and i couldn’t finish the project… anyway i have my new Mountaineer here which i will try to get up and running tomorrow, and if all goes well i will resume programing… and if it goes as planed i should have something published by FRIDAY… before i go out on vacation for few days…

Cheers,

Fantastic! I’m really looking forward to trying this.

Unfortunately more delays, because my Mountaineer eth is not working either, grrrrrrrr… See my other post. I hope someone will help get this up and running. This really sucks because it’s been a week already since my trouble started, and I was on the roll with the stack, now I’ll have to read the whole document again to get back and I can’t even remember where I stopped. Real bummer this happened…

Hi JayJay,

wondering if you have any progress sofar for this I must say, very promising effort !!

Cheers,

Peter.