Intel Edison is an i386 processor?

I just read somewhere that the Edison processor is i386.Is this true?

From what I can gather from various datasheets, both the dual core Atom and the Quark SOC are x86 based.

It is Pentium compatible.

As what I read from time to time Intel pulls out several older processor designs for the low end stuff.

That’s what I thought, however I’m seeing references to ubilinux (the default operating system on the edison) and i386 in the documentation, codebase and on the web server screens. Could those references be just old references?

I am not certain what you are asking here, so I am going to guess that you believe i386 refers to the original 80386 rather than the later edition processors ie. 486, Pentium etc.

i386 is the generic reference to the 32bit Intel architecture and instruction set, so a 80486 or even the Pentiums can/are all be referred to as i386 architectures. It is just a term that stuck around from the days of the original 80386 which was the base implementation of the 32bit instruction set. For the most part x86 and i386 are used interchangeably.

In my opinion the biggest disadvantage of the Intel Edison is the supporting of arduino. Intel are investing significant amount of resources supporting the Intel Edison. As I get to know the platform more I like it but it is learning curve.

@ kiwi_stu - Does anyone have any ideas on possibly running netmf or IOTCore on Edison?

@ andre.m - Got it. I guess the next best thing would get mono running so we can write c# code.

@ taylorza - Cool beans.

@ terrence - Yes, it looks like porting Mono, is currently the only way. Microsoft has difficulty with Windows 10 on the Edision because it has no display device (of any kind).