Beta Testing Program 11/11/19
Thank you for submitting the questionnaire and NDA, and welcome to the beta program. We hope you will enjoy all the new details.
To summarize what we have done in the past year since TinyCLR OS 1.0 was released, we first decided to step back and rethink TinyCLR’s future. After talking to many commercial customers with various complex needs, this is what we came up with for a minimum viable product:
- We need to continue with .NET and C# but use the latest Visual Studio.
- We need a SECURE system: Secure networking, secure In field update, secure hardware, and secure customer applications. We looked to Azure Sphere for inspiration.
- We need the latest TLS 1.3 and beyond
- We need Ethernet, WiFi and Cellular. These need to be SECURE, meaning no AT commands allowed!
- We need to work flawlessly with cloud providers including Azure, AWS, and Google cloud.
- We need proper and secure infield update.
- We need the entire system to run on internal memories in order to enhance security and protect your intellectual property.
- We need a very fast system, G400 level or higher.
- We need a small powerful chipset (like G80 but with a complete feature set, we mean complete!)
- We need a powerful module with plenty of features, including a lot of SDRAM for large display support.
- We need full software support. We mean full, as in full networking support, full file system with USB and SD, SQLite, graphics, touch user interface, camera, and much more!
- We need a drop-in replacement for our commercially loved modules, the G120 and G400
We are glad to share with you that we have finished all the above! Yes, it is done! We have made TinyCLR OS run on a single 100pin chip (like G80) and still be completely powerful and full featured (more so than G400). We’ve also used a 240pin chip with external SDRAM to give you plenty of RAM for graphics. Note here that external SDRAM is only used for graphics. All code runs securely in the internal SRAM.
To implement our new plan, we extensively tested our new software to be absolutely sure of its performance and quality. Our first two prototypes are shown below:
We are now working on finalizing the board for the beta program, which you will get for FREE. All we need from you is a promise that you will use it! We hope to have the design done this week, and the boards will be ready by month’s end.
Now here is the unfortunate news! At least for now, TinyCLR OS 2.0 will only run on the new hardware.
We have not had the resources to port TinyCLR OS 2.0 to old products. The good news is that we are giving you a drop-in-replacement that will be faster, better, more secure, and lower cost! Being part of this beta program means that we are willing to work with you on any necessary changes to make the transition as easy as possible.
We are open to questions and phone discussion, so please feel free to ask! You will be receiving this email every Monday – stay tuned for more exciting news!