Initial setup of new parts

OK, so my parts have arrived, they are:

1. T43 display
  2. Raptor board
  3. USB client module - GM-280
  4. RS21 WiFi

Now, I need to determine exactly which connector on the Raptor board should be used to connect the GM-280 - this is how the board is powered it seems, there are two kinds of USB sockets on the Raptor a USB Host and a USB Device, unsure of which to use for powering (these are sockets 6, 7, and 8).

The WiFi board is socket S so I guess this can be connected to sockets 1, 3 or 11 ?

The display is described as needing sockets B, G, R and T so that seems to be sockets 17, 16, 15 and 14.

So - assuming that’s all correct and I attach them, what should I do next?

How do I get my desktop (with VS 2013 Ultimate) to interact or “see” the board? Do I use a USB cable to get that going?

Once I finally apply power, is there a way to quickly see the board and WiFi are all OK? is there some kind of status utility or something?

Apologies if this is all documented but I couldnt see any such docs.

Thanks

Korp

Have you worked through this yet?

https://www.ghielectronics.com/downloads/Gadgeteer/NET_Gadgeteer_for_beginners.pdf

1 Like

Ahh no! Thanks looks just what I’m looking for, I also just found a copy of [em]Microsoft .NET Gadgeteer[/em] by Simon Taylor, forgot I even bough that (last year!).

Thanks Ian.

Great, I downloaded the NetMF ZIP as instructed here: .NET Micro Framework – GHI Electronics

and when I right click and select Extract All, I get an error saying the file “is invalid”, I downloaded a second time, same thing. This is ridiculous and may be a prob in Windows 10.

Windows 10 has been irritating me a lot recently (for example when I list all of my installed apps etc by date, it says that 80% of them were installed Aug 8th, which is crap!).

Can you tell us exactly what step you’re failing in ? Step 2? If so, then it’s not Win10’s fault. I’ve just tested that, and can open it fine in Explorer and see the content.

WRT Win10, let me guess, did you do the upgrade, or do a major version update, about the 8th August? If so, then that’s probably expected.

OK all is now installed and Im following along this tutorial:
https://www.ghielectronics.com/downloads/Gadgeteer/NET_Gadgeteer_for_beginners.pdf

When I build and run the solution, it fails to deploy, citing:

[em]Cannot deploy the base assembly ‘mscorlib’, or any of his satellite assemblies, to device - USB:Gadgeteer twice. Assembly ‘mscorlib’ on the device has version 4.3.1.0, while the program is trying to deploy version 4.2.0.0 [/em]

I can see clearly that the project is indeed referencing v 4.2.0.0 of mscorlib.

It seems the board is using a later version yet I followed the directions here to the letter:

My guess? I need a later version of .Net Micro Framework not the one I’m told to use by that documentation…

@ KorporalKernel - The firmware on your device is 4.3 while your project is 4.2. If you go into the project properties window, you’ll see a way to change the project version to 4.3 from 4.2.

Incidentally it seems v 4.3 is installed, there’s a bunch of versions beneath my folder:

F:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft .NET Micro Framework

Something about the project has caused a default to v 4.2 but what…

Hi John, yes I looked for that but cant see it, I cant see any place that defines the framework version for the project (only a condtional compilation symbol which I doubt is what you meant).

When you create new project, a window opens up where you choose your mainboard, in that window you can also select target framework and default is 4.2.

1 Like

In solution explorer, right click on .csproj file (right under solution name) of your project and select properties and it is there in Application tab.

and to be explicit, when you create a new project you can see it as per this screenshot.

You can change it, but since you’ve just started, create a new project

I recreated the project from scratch and selected version as board selection time, looks good now.

Thanks all.