Ideas for project with G120

Hello,

I have a webshop and also do hardware design and software design, now I have the idea to make an pcb with there on an G120 module, the pcb is placed on a tft screen.

So you have an small tft with the G120, also and micro sd card socket will be avaible and the possibility to solder the WiFi module.

My question is what kind of TFT must this be, the choice is:

• 4.3" 480x272
  • 5.0" 800x480
  • 7.0" 800x480

Also more ideas are welcome.

Hi Patrick, there’s a good chance that you need to find an LCD that has the same connections / controls / controller that the GHI ones use, unless you’re up for some heavier duty work on drivers, so that’s the first suggestion I’d make, look at what their hardware is and see if you can locate compatibble stuff, if you dont think their hardware will suit your need?

Thanks for you anwser.

That is how ever not the problem, I have the Fez Cobra and connected a 5.0" 800x480 TFT screen from Tianme to it, also an 4.3" 480x272 from Sharp and a 5.7" 640x480 from OSD and all worked fine.On the EMX is an LPC2478 microcontroller and all you must do is give the right spec’s from the TFT screen, like vsync pluse widht, hsync pulse width etc.

Look at the example code:

static bool SetLCDConfiguration()
        {
            Configuration.LCD.Configurations lcdConfig = new Configuration.LCD.Configurations();

//Stel variabelen in van lcdConfig
            lcdConfig.Width = 800;                      //Breedte
            lcdConfig.Height = 480;                     //Hoogte

lcdConfig.PriorityEnable = true;            //Geef interne LCD controller hoogste prioriteit

lcdConfig.OutputEnableIsFixed = false;      //true if LCD enable is a fixed state. false if LCD enable is managed by LCD controller. 
            lcdConfig.OutputEnablePolarity = true;      //true if active state is high.  
            lcdConfig.PixelPolarity = true;             //true if your LCD clocks data on the rising edge of the LCD clock. 
            lcdConfig.HorizontalSyncPolarity = false;   //true if active state is high. 
            lcdConfig.VerticalSyncPolarity = false;     //true if active state is high. 

lcdConfig.HorizontalSyncPulseWidth = 1;
            lcdConfig.HorizontalBackPorch = 88;
            lcdConfig.HorizontalFrontPorch = 1;
            lcdConfig.VerticalSyncPulseWidth = 3;
            lcdConfig.VerticalBackPorch = 32;
            lcdConfig.VerticalFrontPorch = 1;
            lcdConfig.PixelClockDivider = 3;            //72Mhz / 8 is = Mhz

I assume the same idea is used in the G120 module.

The only problem is that the LPC2478 is not fast enough for the 800x480 screen. It will give an picture, but when using the sd card, the DMA channel is used and the picture will be strange.

I tought if I can make an module with all on it, it will be for the people a very nice solution. The only have to buy one module with all on it, and can start right away or use in of there project without making an lcd board or something else.

ok, cool idea, and sounds like you have most of the foundation knowledge under control… since I have no more relevant knowledge, I’ll shut up now :stuck_out_tongue:

But what I like to know is witch lcd size I must use, what will be common and most asked for.

Please put you suggestions here.

7" is the new 3.5". 5" is a good compromise though in my view, still “pocket” size if needed.

Thank you Brett for you idea.

Please I will like to hear from more people witch size of LCD is a good idea.

3.5" I believe is the sweet spot for cost, I believe. The one major drawback of the 7" is that I have to decide between it and a Nexus 7, and there’s no contest there. If a 3.5" screen could be had cheaply, I’d start there.

Thanks for you reply godefroi.

The 3.5" , 4.3" and 5.0" are cost not the main issue, off course there some difference, but not much.

If I will give the following TFT screens:

3.5" - 272x480 without touchscreen
4.3"- 480x272 with touchscreen
5.0" - 800x480 with touchscreen

If there is little cost difference between the sizes, I’d probably go for the higher resolution 5" one.

I use the Newhaven 4.3" 480x272 LCD with capacitive touch (NHD-4.3-480272EF-ATXL#-CTP) for a lot of my projects. It is a nice clean bright display and the CAP touch is excellent.

Newhaven also has a 5" 800x480 LCD with CAP touch (NHD-5.0-800480TF-ATXI#-CTP) for only $10 more. It’s only a little bigger than the 4.3" but is has nearly twice the resolution.

The only down side of the higher resolution is the size of the frame buffer requried.

Regards,
Synapsys

At $60 from Newhaven for just the panel I think it’s a non-starter. For me, anyway, it is. It’s not enough cheaper and better than the TE35.

I’d look for a $30-$40 price point, or even lower.

Thanks for the replay.

The TFT screen must not be expensive, because the project must be interesting for starters, hobby and for the business.

I tought not to use an 3.5" screen, because this one is already in the shop of GHI.

It will be one module, so TFT screen with a PCB on the backside. On the PCB the G120 is present. Also it is possible to solder the Wifi module on it. It will have an micro sd card and a micro usb socket onboard. The last one has the advanced that with a cheap adapter cable an normal USB stick can be connected to it.

You also have an display with 4.3" and 480x800 with an capacitive touch on it, it is from Truly TFT modules, offcourse the resolution is big, but with my Fez Cobra i can run an 800x480 5.0" screen.

I have update about the TFT screens that can be used:

• 5.0" 800x480 with touch panel cost about $35
  • 4.3" 480x272 with touch panel cost about $30

I think that 5.0 looks just about right.

I have made my solution for the project. I gonna make two version off it.

Version:

• 4.3" TFT 480x272 with micro sd card, micro USB, backlight drivers, and I/O connector, for the G120 , also possible to place on FEZ Cerbuino Bee. Also room for the wifi module.
  • 5.0" TFT 800x480 with micro sd card, micro USB, backlight drivers, and I/O connector, for the G120, also room for the wifi module.

The version will be available with or without the G120, wifi is also an option, but you can place always the wifi module later.

For the FEZ Cerbuino Bee there will be an SD1926 LCD controller on board.