I need help to design a shield

Nice work Bec,

As a suggestion, increase the width of your traces a bit as this will allow them to carry more current and have less noise.

I’ve set 10mil as a minimum size. Is this enough ?

Under 13mil, it’s still using only the bottom layer. After that, via’s begin to appear ???

Has anyone here used the BatchPCB services ? And if yes, what do you think of it ?

10mil is fine but bigger is always better. maybe make your power lines 16 mil and leave the others at 10. You can assign a “class” for individual nets and so you can set VCC and GND to the a power net with 16 mil width traces.

When this is done and you take picture, you will get a lot of experience points for being the first who made a shield to go on FEZ.

Note that it is okay to use the FEZ logo and FEZ name but do not put GHI name on the board. Your name should be on the board so other would know that you made it not GHI.

I’ve just uploaded this second board to BatchPCB and am waiting for it to pass their DRC check. The first one (no debug pins) is good and is in my cart, waiting for its little sister :wink:

Since they use 2-layers boards, I’ve let this version (RS232) going on both layers, avoiding via’s as much as possible.

Now, I will have to wait at least 4 weeks to receive them. I should receive the Panda(s) in the meantime.
Btw, Gus, it seems Mark is waiting for an answer from you :wink:

Not sure what exactly you are referring to?

It’s about billing/delivering in different countries.

Both boards have been ordered along with components from Sparkfun, Panda will be shipped from you… All I have to do now is wait 8)

Bec, i got a response from Gus dont worry.

Personally, i use www.pcbcart.com for all my pcb’s. Their quality is exceptional and their price is very very low. I’ve had thousands (possibly into the tens of thousands) of pcb’s made by them for low volume production and prototyping. For higher volume i’ve always left it up to the assembly company to organise it.

Then I’m sorry :-[

For the PCB, it’s now too late to order elsewhere :hand: I’ve bookmarked this site, though. Thank you.

no worries :slight_smile:

Hi MarkH
You are obviously a professional

[quote]Personally, i use www.pcbcart.com for all my pcb’s. Their quality is exceptional and their price is very very low. I’ve had thousands (possibly into the tens of thousands) of pcb’s made by them for low volume production and prototyping. For higher volume i’ve always left it up to the assembly company to organise it.
[/quote]

Can you reveal more on your work an what company you work for?

I used to run an electronics design and manufacturing business, it went down with with the GFC however. I only do electronics as a hobby now and work as a software engineer for a living.

Sorry to hear that your business went down, but glad that we have a recourse like you in here.

I’m always willing to share my knowledge so other people can learn from the many mistakes i made going along that path. Even though i lost a lot of money in the end, the experiences and things i’ve learned as well as the friend’s i’ve made are priceless. 5 years ago i would never have imagined myself working with electronics never mind manufacturing them and knowing how everything works so intimately. Electronics was always something i was interested in before but never took the dive into - and i really dove in the deep end hehe. I only got my first through hole parts in the SFE inventors kit (after having just about ever value of resistor, capacitor and inductor in SMT)!

mark i need a 1k ohm resistor in size 203 please. :wink:

Glad to have you here.

look in RCL library built in eagle. It has everything you can dram off :smiley:

bstag, you in aus?

No mark in Dallas Texas. I was more messing with you then anything. Had to poke at you with your large smt collection. I still have friends who are scared of smt even though they have watched me do it hundreds of times. I guess its a stigma around that type of soldering.

pair of SMT tweasers and anyone can solder surface mount :smiley:

if you were in aus, i would have dropped those resistors to you in an envelope hehe.

Up !

I thought it would be better to create another thread for this project : [url=http://www.tinyclr.com/forum/7/1233/]http://www.tinyclr.com/forum/7/1233/[/url]

Of course, a wiki page will be created when the project will be completely done.