How to use a 1Ghz processor in your next design!

@ terrence - Oh, yes it is.

I guess there are modules already in a SODIMM package, and they are vibration resistant. I’ll have to take that under consideration. Those modules sell for $153 USD.

@ Mr. John Smith, I’d have to say that if it’s higher than $80 -85 I am going to have to think about it even though it seems to be all I want with the exception that its not a plug-able module. Reason being is that currently the GHI module does not include the PHY onboard (unless I am wrong) , so any design I would need I would have to also add those component costs as well.

Like skeller pointed out I am still interested in the new Computer module from RPI, even though trying to get information from them on the last CM was a nightmare. This is why GHI may be worth the higher cost because if you do run into a jam at least you can talk to someone to get help. getting help from RPI… FORGET IT !

FWIW i was pumped about the Edison, but they still have not gotten SPI to work with DMA, When they first came out, I talked with one of the engineers at Intel who worked on the Edison. Get this, there were only 2 employees that made that, so there is NOT allot of support for it as we can all clearly see from the lack after all these years it’s been out.

Currently my love right now is the ARTIK 5, which I hope they will soon start selling.

@ VersaModule - Does the ARTIK 5 have 100BaseT Ethernet? It only lists Wifi. I couldn’t locate any datasheet with pin-outs or actual spec’s.

I had high hopes for Edison as well. I think they missed the boat by not working Microsoft on Win 10 IoT.

1 Like

My main concern about Edison is that Intel will wake up one day and discontinue it on a whim. They have no pledge of longevity for the product. Going with a smaller company like GHI (yea GHI is smaller than intel, sorry to break it you Gus) is that they have a fully vested interest in the product. I’m not worried about being able to get any GHI product 10 years from now. (Unless GHI goes under. Knock on wood for that one).

The module itself does not have the PHY on it. I have the kit, and on the mainboard it has a ASIX AX88796C on there for the Ethernet. If your signed up, you can download the more things from the Developer page, such as the schematic for the development kit. They are still in beta stages so not everything is out there yet.

I did not want to mention this before, but since you kinda hit the nail on the head, I will say it now. When talking to that Intel engineer he said that these 2 engineers got together and proposed this Edison idea to Intel as they were hackers like us and tried telling Intel that this is more what people are looking for. Intel was not overly enthused about it, but did tell them to go ahead with it. They did not give them more man power for it, and in his words he said ther were more or less playing the field to see what the reaction would be to it. Sad thing because it has some serious potential if they would have just kept up with it. Though I personally cannot stand Yocto Linux. They should have went with the more popular Debian distro.

@ skeller -

Boy, you got that right.

@ VersaModule - ARTIK5, how much is it?

Laptops have been using that form factor and socket for years and I’ve lugged a laptop around when I worked offshore on boats and helicopters etc and never once had any issues or had to re-seat the memory. I’d say it was pretty reliable unless of course you are taking about severe and constant vibration such as would be found in a vehicle.

Gus,

but no stock.

I prefer the GHI board here as the ARTIK5 only has 2 UARTS. Embedded systems generally still rely on real UARTS. Modbus and serial modems are still part of the design for embedded systems that I work with. That leaves nothing spare on the ARTIK5 for me. :slight_smile:

Not the kit, but the module? Maybe someone has some info.

@ Dave McLaughlin - Yes, high vibration environments like a vehicle.

They have not released the pricing yet for the module.

Ships in about 4 weeks + 2…

@ VersaModule - we have made couple improvements that caused the delays. We are trying to get these out shortly.

@ Gus - Cool Beans

I’m just yanking GHI’s goat out of excitement for this! Nice to hear you threw the phy and headers on it, wink, wink :wink:

@ VersaModule - I thought you were going for WiFi?

Not that I would not turn that option down. It would for sure be a bonus. Speaking for myself, having the phy on board so I could just ad my jack or mag-jack would be a standard thing for me to have.

1 Like