Main Site Documentation

How to Redetecting the new Dynamic IP Address?

Hello,
I have a situation and i’m not sure how to handle it…
basically I have a Cerbuino and ENC28J, attached to a router, using Dynamic IP address… at first start the board returns the actual IPAddress throught the following code:

IPAddress.GetDefaultLocalAddress();

now if I restart the router or renew the IPAddress from the router to the board, somehow the board keeps returning the old address… and I have no way in code of finding out the new address unless I reset the board…

Does anyone know of an efficient NETMF code to get the actual IPAddress even when renewed?

thanks.

Generally, DNS will assign you the same IP address if renew or ask for a new address within a short time period. The IP address is associated with you MAC address, and if DNS has your MAC address in it cache, it will assign you the same IP address.

Thanks Mike, but what i’m saying is I forced my DNS to assign the board another address and for some reason the Code above never shows the newly assigned address, and keeps displaying the old address, is there a reliable way to detect the change.
and btw this event never fires:

NetworkChange.NetworkAddressChanged 

so is this a bug ?

@ Jay Jay - I suspect what is happening, after the device discovers the DNS server, and sees that it is on the same sub-net when it got its last IP address, is asking for that address again. The DHCP server, having no assignment for that address, is assigning the requested address.

Network monitor. Check if the DHCP requests are ever made. Make sure the link between the DHCP issued address and what the board uses is correct.