How to power .NET Gadgteer

Hi all!

I have tried to power .NET Gadgeteer using a 9v battery, but, when I connect the jack to the USB Client DP Module, the on-board LED blinks. In the GHI Electronics site, it is said that this happens when the power supply is over-loaded.

So, must I use a particular type of battery?

I fear that I can damage the mainboard trying to use a wrong battery.

@ Marco

I’ve used a 9v to power my Spider on numerous occasions without any issues. You may find, depending on how much current you’re drawing, that the battery doesn’t last all that long. But you should not be able to overload the board with a 9v battery, as the USB Client DP module supports up to 30v input.

It may be that the module page is indicating that the LED will blink if the board is trying to draw more current than the module can supply, but I’ve not seen the blinking LED myself to confirm.

What all do you have connected?

Is it possible that the 9V battery can not provide the current required, and it’s voltage is dropping too low for the power supply?

Was it a new battery? Can you measure the voltage out of the battery under load?

@ devhammer

On page: http://www.ghielectronics.com/catalog/product/280 you can read here:

Note: The on-board LED blinks when the power supply is over-loaded.

I have connected the following modules: Oled Display, Light Sensor and Temperature & Humidity.

@ Mike
No, It is a battery that I have used before. Tomorrow I’ll buy a new battery and make other tests, but the important thing is to be sure that I cannot damage the board. Can you confirm this?

I think they mean that a current hog is overloading the power supply. Anyways,there were reports on poor quality of the soldering job on Seeed’s modules.

Check, that you don’t have shorts or anything of that sort. (You can connect any module directly to power module). That might tell you which one is the main suspect.

In addition, you can try tying several 9V batteries together in parallel to increase the available current. As devhammer said, a single 9V battery doesn’t hold a lot of current.

@ Architect

Do you tell to try connect the modules directly to the power module and then connect the jack to see if, in this configuration, the LED blinks?

Also, excuse if I insist, but can you confirm that I cannot damage the board making these tests?

Well, I cannot guarantee that. But here is another way of checking it.

1 Connect DP to main board without any modules. Is led blinking?
2. Remove power, attach first module to main board,attach power. Is led blinking?
3. Continue by checking rest of the modules individually.

OK, thank you, tomorrow I buy a new batter and then I’ll try as you suggest.