How do we create an installer for the Cobra II NET

I have written a small program in NETMF for the Cobra II. Now I want to write an installer for this program. How do we do this? I assume the steps will be something like this:

1. Create an installer package in Visual Studio.

2. Plug in the Cobra II NET through USB.

3. Run the installer package.

4. The program will install on the Cobra II NET.

Can you explain why you want this? What is the scenario you’re trying to achieve?

It’s not as simple as this, because there’s a requirement to use MFDeploy capability which therefore becomes a pre-requisite (there may be options here about getting MFDeploy and components stand-alone) as well as the driver that the device needs. You also need to think about catering for a device with an older framework, so you essentially need the FezConfig app - which can achieve a lot of what I think you want, but it’s not as “clean” as a single installer.

1 Like

Hi Brett,

What I want is to install the program that we created on the Fez Cobra II NET. That’s all. Up until now, we have been testing with Visual Studio hardware debugging. It sounds like we just use the Fez Config once we want to actually run it without Visual Studio. Is that right?

Shaun

You have to create the hex files from a device where you have deployed you program to with VS and then deploy these hex files with mfdeploy (or other tool) OR IFU :

https://www.ghielectronics.com/docs/147/in-field-update

… or just deploy it with VS and you’re done. Deploy once, it stays there. Deploying your app is pretty much a once-off event (unless it changes). So you’re not doing anything wrong by just hitting F5 to deploy to the connected Cobra and then once deployed, disconnect from the PC and connect to another power source…

1 Like

Hi Brett,

Thank you. That makes sense. My follow up question is, how do we start the deployed program? It looks like it just starts when we start the SBC. Is that right?

Shaun

When you power the device, the currently installed app starts. Remove power, it stops, reattach power and it starts again. The app is truly embedded :slight_smile:

1 Like