How do i add to showcase form

I am designing the Ultimate Fez Panda shield and want to add to community showcase , how do i do this?

The shield has

8 Leds
8 1 WIre Interfaces
5 Buttons
Sensors
Xbee Device
8 Relays
8 Opto Inputs
LCD
and few surprises…

Its currently going final PCB design but i will upload some images of the prototype. The shields uses SPI, I2C interfaces so its a great learning shield that has many possibilities…

I am also creating a software interface that allows you to control all the peripherals if you wish…

I will be selling the board as a PCB on its own or fully assembled using SMD devices…

It also has the ability to be extended to have double the amount of inputs/outputs.

All the shields i have seen do 1 task but i have always seen the need to have shields that allows me to do a majority of the projects people are doing.

I have spent the last year designing the board and am sure it will be useful to people.

GHI adds content to the showcase. Do You have a blog post about your Project?

No i do not have blog…where should i create one? Recommend any?

I like Google’s blogger service.

Not to rain on your parade, but I highly doubt you’ll find much interest for a board like that.

Same thoughts here, I think most people use modules and shields to test and prototype but then build a custom board, or at least that’s what we do.

I actually like the board but I wish it used one of the newer products.

It’s as big as a computer motherboard (and not out of necessity – there’s just lots of wasted space). It’d be freakishly expensive to produce.

I also generally don’t like LEDs on every channel of everything – it really loads down the outputs and makes it difficult to switch things at a high frequency. (This comment is obviously not applicable to the relay channels)

The XBee headers don’t break out the sleep pin, which is silly.

And it’s got a fairly large BOM – it’d make more sense to use multichannel optocouplers, resistor arrays, etc.

I do not think you guys are being fair. We need to know a bit more about the board and what experience does the maker have.

This is true; however, I saw the OP’s comment about wanting to sell the boards, so I just wanted to toss out those suggestions to get the OP thinking about designing something that can actually be manufactured.

Hi people…opinions are great to hear, the board will be a quarter of the size you see in the prototype. The board has been is being designed to be manufactured also.

I find most projects have buttons, leds, adc, wireless…this alone are many shields…so why not have a board that has all of these and just not connect the parts you will not use.

From my experience, people have ‘grand plans’ for a project but spend months playing with LEDs, buttons when they could get straight into creating the idea.

Board will be able to be used with the latest ‘arduino’ headers that include the 2 extra pins.

The header pins can also be reconfigured what everway you wish.

Attached is my pcb prototype on paper…not the completed design(lines will be straighter!)…lol

My background is as an electronic engineer by education but never practiced commercially( the board is being designed by a real engineer with my input).

Alot of the magic of the board will be in the software, but the cost alone of the board will definitely be cheaper then buying all the boards individually…

The software will run on a GHI device but netduino, arduino users could use the board as well.

Gus…is the latest GHI board anyway?

@ zigbox - I would be interested in buying one or two of your boards. It does depend a lot on the final size though. The prototype board you showed in your earlier post was too big for my purposes. Please don’t be discouraged by the comments you’ve received so far on this forum.

I’m thinking he’s referring to non-shield and non-stacking products, ie Cerb, Spider, Hydra, Octopus, Scorpion, etc …

Do you have any picture of the final board?

Anything not “legacy”. see product status http://ghielectronics.com/catalog/product/256

Will have picture of new board in the next cuple weeks.

Is the gobus connectors the new interface for all new boards? So is the ‘arduino’ interface being phased out?

mm…might have to add some gobus connectors on my board…what is the technical term for these connectors?

We have gadgeteer connectors. See the page under technologies above

My biggest problem is that this board is designed around totally archaic principles for development boards. It looks like something you’d see fifteen years ago – a giant, massive dev board, complete with every peripheral you’d ever want to use. Sounds great, but if you’ve ever tried developing on one of those things, it’s a total hassle.

If you want to use anything, you have to go digging through the board’s reference manual to figure out exactly which pins are multiplexed to which peripheral. Having worked with a ton of these boards, I can tell you it’s a huge pain in the ass. And once the user gets a design working, they’re almost obligated to build a custom board, just because these huge boards are so unruly.

The development board ecosystem has totally shifted away from that. Look at every major prototyping platform out there:
[ul]Microsoft Gadgeteer
Arduino Shields
Phidgets Modules
Digilent P-Mods
Texas Instruments BoosterPacks[/ul]

Every platform these days is module-based. The user can buy a collection of the modules he or she needs for a project, wire them up, and start programming. Obviously it’d be cheaper to have a single board than having separate modules, but there’s an infinite combination of modules that people need for a project, so how are you going to pick and choose which modules the user needs?

And Gadgeteer Designer really makes the old-style monolithic development boards look stale. With Gadgeteer, you simply drag and drop modules on your screen, wire them up, and start programming. You can prototype an entire embedded system without ever worrying about which pins go where, or how to interface this thing with that thing, etc.

I assume you’d have some sort of software library written for your board that abstracts the hardware. That’s great and everything, but why reinvent the wheel? Gadgeteer is in full bloom, and while I typically don’t use it for anything I do, I know it’s extremely popular among NETMF users.

I guess my advice is if you really want to put some time and effort into designing development boards, I’d recommend you abandon your giant dev-board-doohickey-thing and instead work on building new Gadgeteer boards. For example, while GHI has a ton of Gadgeteer boards, they don’t have any optocouplers, which your board has a ton of. Maybe that’s a contribution you could make?

I’m sure any Gadgeteer board you’d make would prove infinitely more popular than your original proposed design.

Good luck on your project!

Totally agree with you Jay but i still see some users will find it useful.

The board is well documented, the main benefit is that it has all the peripherals that most people would use and it could be used commercially.

I find that people building products with fez panda, g120 etc are always busy, spend allot of time just trying to get an LED to blink BUT have BIG ideas that do not eventuate because the basics take so long to learn…

The board will have code that a user can use straight away to access every peripheral…i will be using the fez panada, and the FEZ Cobra II as the brains for v1 but v2 will have wifi

I believe that many deigns could be completed without a custom board…

I am going to replace my home alarm system with this board, then i am going to create my home irrigation system…if no one is interested, that OK. I enjoy the journey!

I do have a few surprises for the board with software but thats for later.

Appreciate your feedback…it helps…