Help starting a new project

Hello,
I need to start a new project, basically porting a Panda II (SDK 4.1) application to Cerberus platform (SDK 4.2 and 4.3 ASAP).

The application is a data logger that samples some analog inputs (+ temperature), write some cache on SD, then upload all to a remote Web service using ethernet.

I think to use Cerbuino + ENC28 + temp-humidity module from GHI, connecting my analog inputs to Cerbuino analog input.
Is this the right solution?

Moreover: later I’d like to use a single board as “gateway” for a PAN of sensor. My idea is to have some Cerbuino boards as the one described above, without Ethernet but using a Zigbee module to connect them to a “master unit”. This master unit may be connected to Internet via Ethernet or GSM, and then act as a “router” or “server”, receiving data from other units via Zigbee and then contacting the remote Web service to upload data behalf on them (I think I cannot provide a real TCP router using Zigbee, so the flow will be remote unit client->master unit server process->master unit client->remote webservice). Is this a good solution? Will be hard to implement (I’m newbie on zigbee)? Can I create the master unit with Cerbuino or do I need a most poweful board? Can I have some suggestion on Zigbee module to add to Cerbuino to have this goal?

thanks!

This should be a fine solution for you. Cerb’s not big on RAM but should have enough for your needed. Zigbee should be addressable as a SerialPort which will make your communications easy.

There has been an issue with SD cards and the Cerb in the past, but I believe the latest firmware update fixes it.

For Zigbee and you have enough code space, the MFTookKit is easy to use. It includes lots of other stuff but you only need the MicroZigbee stuff.

I got Zigbee, as a newbie to it myself, running within 30 mins and after a few days I have a very nice multi sensor system talking to my ChipworkX system. Although the ADC input on the Zigbee is not high enough resolution or quiet enough but it does work for now until I can add a processor module (G120)and better ADC, battery and solar etc to the mix.

http://mftoolkit.codeplex.com/

How is affordable this project today? I see that it was not updated after 2010, and zigbee code is commented as “from 2009”

However I see that ZigBee implementation seems quite powerful and easy, so it seems that I can assembly my project with reasonable effort :slight_smile:

Do you suggest to use two complete boards to develop and test, or a board and a PC-USB ZigBee adapter?

thanks

You have access to all the source code so any issues you can sort them out yourself. I have not found any problems with it so far. I can decode the Zigbee analog and digital inputs as they arrive at my device.

You just need to use the Digi X-CTU to configure your Zigbee modules as API mode. Get one of the Sparkfun USB boards to do this if don’t have anything.

I used the PC to setup the sensor unit and another Zigbee with the .NETMF to act as coordinator. (you need 1 coordinator in your network)

By the way, the nice thing about the MFToolkit is that you can use it on the desktop PC too along with the Sparkfun or other USB board. I setup 2 way communications with this setup. That way I had1 Zigbee sending its own analog sensor data and another to test and send telemetry data from the PC. The whole thing is a breeze to setup and get working.

By the way, I also purchased the book Wireles Network with Zigbee from Sparkfun. It’s not detailed but it gives you a good understanding of how it all works.

So may I use just one Cerbuino board and using the remote Zigbee module directly connected to inputs? My idea was to have two Cerbuino boards with Zigbee, making “remote” boards to sample inputs and make other local things, and using ZigBee as a newtwork betweek Cerbuinos to move information between “master” and “slave” units. Is this right?

Can I work well using these items?
http://www.watterott.com/en/XBee-2mW-Series-25-Wire-Antenna
http://www.watterott.com/en/XBee-Explorer-USB

Thanks!