Hardware experience

I’m missing an option for Hardware experience in my profile. The bottom of the list should read:

[ulist]Basic: I can connect an LED.
Newbie: I can connect a Gadgeteer module
None: Hardware, huh?[/ulist]

If I connect a LED it will probably go up in smoke, but I’ve been fine at connecting Gadgeteer modules (up till now). :wink:

Hey !

Connecting Gadgeteer does not looks so easy to me.
There are multiple type of socket so it is easy to get it wrong.

Why didn’t Microsoft designed a connector with keying so we can’t connect a module with 3 analog signals to a socket with PWM outputs ?

That’s why I prefer to stick with breadboarding.
At least I know why it smokes.

;D

@ Barbudor

I beg to differ…every socket has a letter, as does every module. As long as you only connect a module to a socket with a matching letter, you’ll do fine. If a software geek like myself can manage it, then just about anyone can. :slight_smile:

@ Devhammer

Yes, but I am an hardware guy at the beginning.
So I expect hardware to prevent such things.

Of course a software guy would consider putting an eeprom on the module so that the framework can identify the type of module on each connector and warn the user in case of error.

;D

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ :smiley:

You should never see smoke with gadgeteer. It is designed with wrong connections in mind.

[quote]Connecting Gadgeteer does not looks so easy to me.
There are multiple type of socket so it is easy to get it wrong.

Why didn’t Microsoft designed a connector with keying so we can’t connect a module with 3 analog signals to a socket with PWM outputs ?

That’s why I prefer to stick with breadboarding.
At least I know why it smokes.[/quote]

The analog voltage input range is 0-3.3V, hooking an analog voltage to a digiatal input won’t smoke anything it just won’t work right. Applying too high a voltage will damage something no matter which system you use. Shorting an output pin will also damage something no matter what system you use.