Grove Expansion and Motor Driver

Had an odd experience and would like some advice. I have the FEZ Cerberus 1.1 and have been learning (aka playing) with the different modules. Also purchased a Grove Expansion unit and Seeed’s motor driver to see how the whole eblock items work. I am a Nubie to all this so it’s all been interesting. Got all of it to work with out too many mistakes including a hall effect flow sensor on the grove expansion. The odd thing happened when I was using the motor driver with a 12v motor when it ran it started hitting the interrupt for the flow sensor ( I am guessing from noise from the motor?). It ran for a couple of seconds before I pulled it. Later I removed the motor driver and interrupt on the Cerberus is gone now :frowning: I am assuming that the noise (ie back emf) from the motor killed it? I am a bit surprised that noise could get through the motor driver all the way back so my real question is should I have put some sort of filtering resistor/capacitor combination on the motor or even just clamping diodes?
Thanks
David Toland

Are you using the same battery for the Cerberus and the motor? This is not recommended because of noise issue.

No different power supplies. Motor uses 12vdv.

We do not know much about the grove system from seeed. We have gadgeteer modules to handle many tasks instead.

Yes I realize you don’t specialize in other people’s products. The real question was how should I have filtered the motor circuit. Diodes, R/C combination?
Thanks
David Toland

It depends on the circuit schematics, which I haven’t seen :slight_smile: But capacitors are usually used to help in filtration, between power and ground.