Main Site Documentation

GHI .NETMF Assemblies not correctly registered

Hi all!

I own an EMX Development System v1.3 (firmware of the EMX Module updated to v4.2.5) and in the past I have already developed some applications for it using Visual Studio 2010 Professional.

I left it unused for some months but from yesterday, when I started to develop other applications, when I complete the setup of a new C# EMX Project using the related wizard, Visual Studio reports that the assembly GHIElectronics.NETMF.Hardware.EMX doesn’t exist in my system (a small yellow warning icon appears on it in the References list of the project and the GHIElectronics.NETMF.Hardware using directive in Program.cs is underscored in red).

I correctly updated the Microsoft’s NETMF SDK to v4.2 QFE2 RTM and the “NETMF and Gadgeteer Package 2013 R3”, downloading both of them from the GHI website.

If I try to add the GHIElectronics.NETMF.Hardware.EMX reference manually I don’t find any registered assembly starting with “GHIElectronics”; however, if I browse my file system I found a GHI.Hardware.EMX.dll assembly in C:\Program Files (x86)\GHI Electronics\GHI Premium NETMF v4.2 SDK\ Assemblies. If I add it manually to my projects I am able to develop applications for my dev. system.

I read other forum thread about this kind of problems so, following the hints given on them, I completely removed and repeated the setup of SDK’s many times. No error or warning is reported during the installation process, but the problem still persists.

I guess that there is some problem with the registration phase of the installed assemblies, but I am unable to solve it.

Is there anyone that has experienced the same problems and that has solved them?

Is there an utility or some other way to completely cleanup the NETMF installation?

Thank you in advance for any hint!

Welcome to the forum.

The latest release should be 4.2.11.1 not 4.2.5? Are you sure you download the latest SDK?

With MF 4.2, there were namespace changes. Go to the support/netmf section of the site, and look at the GHI 4.2 Premium documentation. You will see the new namespace names. It will be obvious which one you need. A change to the reference DLL and the using statement in your program is required.

VS looks for the exact same version of the dll.
Remove any GHI references and add them again.

Mike/Reinhard,

first of all thank you for your rapid answers!

Mike, please note that I updated the firmware of my EMX module several months ago when the latest available version was 4.2.5.

I just updated TinyBooter through the Tera Term and GHI Bootloader and the EMX firmware through MFDeploy to the current versions available in the “NETMF and Gadgeteer Package 2013 R3”.

Nonetheless all the update procedure seems to be gone OK (no error messages at all during both the TinyBooter and the EMX Firmware update), the LCD screen of my EMX Dev System is now always empty (the diagnostic messages and the GHI logo that appeared at power up/reset before the update, now do not appear at all). However, when I upload a test application on the dev system (a simple led blinking application…) from Visual Studio, it deploys and starts correctly.

This is the info I obtain through the command Target->Device Capabilities of MFDeploy:

Pinging… TinyCLR
HalSystemInfo.halVersion: 4.2.0.0
HalSystemInfo.halVendorInfo: Microsoft Copyright © Microsoft Corporation. All rig
HalSystemInfo.oemCode: 255
HalSystemInfo.modelCode: 0
HalSystemInfo.skuCode: 65535
HalSystemInfo.moduleSerialNumber: FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
HalSystemInfo.systemSerialNumber: FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
ClrInfo.clrVersion: 4.2.0.0
ClrInfo.clrVendorInfo: Microsoft Copyright © Microsoft Corporation. All rig
ClrInfo.targetFrameworkVersion: 4.2.0.0
SolutionReleaseInfo.solutionVersion: 4.2.11.1
SolutionReleaseInfo.solutionVendorInfo: Copyright © GHI Electronics, LLC
SoftwareVersion.BuildDate: Oct 17 2013
SoftwareVersion.CompilerVersion: 410713
FloatingPoint: True
SourceLevelDebugging: True
ThreadCreateEx: True
LCD.Width: 0
LCD.Height: 0
LCD.BitsPerPixel: 0
AppDomains: True
ExceptionFilters: True
IncrementalDeployment: True
SoftReboot: True
Profiling: True
ProfilingAllocations: True
ProfilingCalls: True
IsUnknown: False

Any hint about this problem with the LCD screen?

In the latest FW the LCD screen is not configured by default.
use FEZConfig to configure your LCD.
Then it will show boot messages again.

Done; now the LCD works correctly!

Thank you!

@ frada - Nice to be off some help for you.
Have fun. :clap: