GHI Ethernet ENC28 Module

Does anyone know how I can find out the part number for the RJ-45 connector on the GHI Ethernet ENC28 Module? There is no part number or any writing at all on the part.

I made a board with an STMicro STM32F405 exactly like the Cerberus, and I tried to clone the Ethernet module circuit, so that they are both on the same board. I can program it and use the Ethernet module code, and it seems to work perfectly for a while. I can give it an IP address and ping it.
But after a while, around 30-60 minutes, the current starts to increase by 50-100mA, and ethernet stops working. I verified my schematic and it is exactly the same as the GHI schematic, except I had to guess on the RJ-45 connector (with magnetics). I am having the same problem on both boards I made.
The RJ-45 connector I chose for my board is a Pulse Electronics JD2-0001NL.
I am stumped and don’t know what else to do…

1 Like

We use SI-50170 from Farnell, order no 1137984, on our Custom G120 board with ENC28.
I think it is the same as GHI uses on Cobra II Net.
For us Networking works very robust.

Thanks for the part number, I compared it to mine and they appear to be the same.

I am trying to clone the Cerberus board with ENC28J60 IC on my own custom board that I laid out (along with my other circuitry). We use the ENC28 library, and it programs fine and the ethernet function works for a while, but then current starts to increase and then the ENC28 stops working. I am just letting the board sit there powered on, without a network cable plugged in. It is strange that the current starts to increase after 30-60 minutes. Only have a bare bones program in it right now to test the board.
I’m trying to track down what is causing this. Most of the board is unpopulated except for the MCU and ENC28. I’ll do more testing and take more data.
Below is the schematic that I copied from the ENC28 module, I copied it exactly except I chose a different RJ-45 connector (with magnetics) and I chose a different crystal.

1 Like

@ lkz8897 - R22 -R25 should be 49R9 and not 49K9

THANK YOU!!! Good catch, I wonder if that is the cause of my problems???

Just wanted to say thank you again, my boards have worked perfectly for the last 2 weeks since I changed the ethernet resistors to 49R9.

But I don’t understand, why would those 49.9K resistors cause the ENC28 to slowly draw more and more current and then the chip dies?

1 Like

It won’t cause more current. The 49R9 act as termination of the data lines. With the 49K9 you won’t have the right termination value so the chances are the signal will not be as expected and will generate higher voltage levels causing reflections and possible damage to the IC.