GHI Electronics NETMF SDK 2015 R1 Pre-Release 4

@ John - I agree with you that 60 seconds delay issue is not critical. I was hopping that there was non-intentional delay left after testing your code internally or something among those lines.

However, I do not agree with you that non-working ReservePin method is not a critical issue. If it was not discovered for a long time it does not mean it is not critical. What makes it critical, in my opinion, is that classes like SPI, I2C, SerialPort and others use this method internally and you can get all sort of problems if you are not careful.

Also, waiting for these type of issues to get fixed for another year or so does not look promising :frowning:

@ andre.m - Do you know when the first Alpha/Beta of 2016 SDK is going to be released? :slight_smile:

I think his point is that anything other than a GHI announcement is speculation, and I know of no announcements regarding the timing of future releases of any flavor.

At this point, this SDK is in a locked state. Only the absolute needed changes (things that will stop your product from shipping) will be done and otherwise they will be on the next SDK. This is for quality control and no other reason. The last thing we want to do is fix something that may break something else.

@ mcalsyn - Yes, that is exactly what I was trying to say.

@ andre.m - Can you point us to that announcement which talks about 2016 SDK Alpha/Beta release dates?

By the way, we hope that the next release will not take long. Especially that we have it all together and the only things will be left are small fixes here and there. The only big one is the 4.4 transition.

1 Like

@ andre.m - Sorry, but it is still not clear. I donā€™t see any dates mentioned - thatā€™s the problem. Anyway, I will be fine even if 2015 SDK does not include some of the bugfixes :wink:

Not the same at all. We changed the networking stack and completely reworked our internal libraries. An each one of these is a LOT more work than just going 4.1 to 4.2. We also reworked the libraries 4.2 to 4.3. This will not be the case as our libraries and the networking stack stay the same.

We no longer give dates as giving you a good software comes first, no matter how long it takes, in a reasonable time of course.

@ C-Born - Unfortunately the issue came up too late in the process to make it into this SDK. For now, the only option is to dispose and recreate the port as you mentioned.

As discussed with Gus (https://www.ghielectronics.com/community/forum/topic?id=19918&page=2#msg196839) the main issue here is whether this is a specific one-off glitch, or a larger issue which may manifest in unknown ways and in unknown circumstances.

If you can assure us that you have located the exact cause of the problem and the former case is true then we can proceed using the workaround for now, if not then we must assume the latter and the release is unsafe for use in production.

Can you give us that assurance?

@ C-Born - We have not yet attempted to fix it so we canā€™t say exactly what the cause is.

Thanks John. Hopefully it will be something minor.
However for now 4.3 can be used for in-house testing, but all production systems, including product current development, will have to stay on 4.2.

I read somewhere there are some networking speed improvements. I do not observe anything better with this sdk, ftp transfert are still slowā€¦ do you have the same feeling than me?

5.76kB/s :wall: on a 144kB file If I remember well this was 70kB/s on 4.2ā€¦

Give us some code to test and donā€™t say like 4.2 and 4.3, please. 4.3 has many sons 4.3.x.x. Point out exactly what version you see the problems, that will be easy for us, please :smiley:

I rerun the test today and I discover that I was still running 4.3.7.9 instead of 4.3.7.10. Updating the G400 and now speed is about 160kB/s
Gooooooooooooooooood :clap:
I like when the day start with a good news
:stuck_out_tongue:

@ leforban

Good news for us, also

Is there any chance of Printer being put back into the supported USB list? I had worked out basic text printing awhile ago, itā€™d be cool if I could keep that around in my latest project(s).

@ Skewworks - the printer class is simple. I think it would not be too hard to implement using the raw usb interface.

Yeah, there was mention from you 11months ago about providing a sample. Any chance on that one? :slight_smile:

Otherwise, Iā€™m sure Iā€™ll get around to itā€¦eventually.