Main Site Documentation

Getting compile-time into c# code?

Hi there

I am doing some data-logging stuff, and are sick and tired of setting the time in my system every time I deploy.

Is there a clever way to create a constant value that contains the time of compilation, so the first lines of code sets the RTC based on that value.

That would be really useful in the development process.

Can you power RTC so it keeps the clock?

There is no network, and no RTC-battery (yet!).

@ njbuch - As suggested by Architect a battery for RTC would be the easiest solution. If you realy can’t use a battery there might be a compile time option. I haven’t tried it but this would be my approach.

• Create a small windows console program that creates a text file and write the current system time to the file.
  • In visual studio project setting.build events you edit pre-build where you call your console application.
  • Include the text file as a resource
  • In your managed app you read the resource content to set the clock

You can also make your class partial with one part that you will modify from the command line tool that @ RobvanSchelven mentioned.

That command line tool can be a complete console app or a script ( see “time /t” command).

There are options.

Oh my i was thinking to difficult… Your approach is even smarter :slight_smile:

Thank you :wink:

@ njbuch - I have just tested this:

Class1.cs:

using System;
using Microsoft.SPOT;

namespace N1
{
    public partial class Class1
    {
        public Class1()
        {
            Debug.Print(CUR_TIME);
        }
    }
}

Class1.Time.cs:

namespace N1 { public partial class Class1 { string CUR_TIME="17:22:45.41"; } } 

Set pre-build and post-build events to the following string:

ECHO namespace N1 { public partial class Class1 { string CUR_TIME="%TIME%"; } } > $(ProjectDir)Class1.Time.cs

Instantiate the class somewhere in code and it will always print new time every time you run the app (emulator is fine to test)

Amazing, there was a reason you got that Fezzie Award. Thanks to much, saving hours…

You are welcome! :slight_smile:

@ Architect - Excellent :slight_smile: