Gadgeteer - Ray-casting engine V0.1

@ taylorza I think you’ve got some real great work going on there, and I’d love to see it in Game Slate. If you can get it to a point you’re comfortable with releasing it I’ll make sure your name is plastered all over the 3D engine. With the power of the Hydra I think StarFox and Doom style games are well within reach.

@ Gralin Competition? Last time I tried running 3D on any of my devices I got < 1 frame a second. No competition there, talyorza blows anything I’ve got out of the water.

@ skewworks, I will definitely release the code. The major thing that I still need to do is add support for other characters in the game, this is the thing that is going to require some real optimization…

Btw. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to isolate the RLP unlock code, I assume that it should not be publicly shared so I am a little concerned that I accidentally post that up when I eventually share the code.

People normally just remove it when they do public shares.

If your caster became part of Game Slate we’d simply use our own unlock code and place only that call into a close source DLL.

@ taylorza - Currently 22, that was using a 3x3 array, and the code to work out what bits to draw is still missing sections off. For the perspective, the view is a square so i just used for example 0,0 to 10,10 which sort of makes it look right.

A friend used to own the Oric, but I borrowed it many a time to play that game :slight_smile:

Please vote for my request here : http://www.tinyclr.com/forum/topic?id=6984

:slight_smile:

Then we can finally start building 64K demo’s!

5 Likes

@ WouterH, +1 :slight_smile:

Also +1’d your post

We have +1 feature in new forum :slight_smile: Why not use it? I will start and +1

Here is a quick update of the ray-casting engine

The new features include

1. Support for non-player characters ie. objects in the maze
  2. Wall collision handling and sliding (I cheated before an was careful not to walk through the walls :))
  3. Performance enhancements - needed to support the extra processing required for the NPCs

Still to do

1. Support viewing the NPC from multiple angles, currently they will always face you
  2. Refine the interface from managed code to make the engine more accessible for others to use for building their own games
  3. Performance, performance, performance

This is very very sweet. We even have GHI logo in the game. Love it

@ Gus, thanks. I hope you guys do not mind me using the logo. It seemed appropriate, because without GHI’s RLP feature I would not have been able to do this. You guys should provide a “Powered by GHI” logo.

or powered by FEZ :slight_smile: Good idea. I will pass this on

So when will we get to see the code? Is this something we/you can add on the wiki as an advanced RLP tutorial?

@ Gus, I will definitely share the code, just want to get the features complete, then try squeeze out the last bit of performance before sharing otherwise I end-up publishing to many iterations.

As mentioned before, my concern is that I accidentally share my RLP activation code, I have seen a few of the sample in the codeshare section include the individuals activation code which I assume is a big no-no. I want to make sure I do not make that mistake, esp. if I post on codeplex.

There are plans to improve this in coming NETMF 4.2 already in place.

Blimey Chris, slow down, you’re making the rest of us look bad! :wink: Kidding, keep it up, looks great, and a cracking follow-up to the Pacman implementation. Mind you, prior to seeing that Wolfenstein-like engine I’d got most of a wire-frame 3D ‘Battlezone’-like game nearly ready, although it’s currently rendering about 2 frames a second at present, so now I’m really unwilling to upload code till I’ve had chance to look into RLP and try doing the trig calculations and maybe drawing too in native code instead of in C#/NETMF. Have you considered getting the laser-cut gadgeteer mini-arcade enclosure from Ponoko? Actually I got mine from their UK partners Razor Labs instead, maybe they’ve got Cypriot partners too, or at least closer in Europe. Was very easy, uploaded the files and received the laser-cut acrylic pieces the next day - although with hidsight I wish I’d maybe edited the SVG files to squeeze in a button alongside the joysick.

@ RorschachUK, I will be looking at getting one of those mini-arcade enclosures made up. I have asked around here in Cyprus, it seems there is only one place that does it and the pricing is ridiculous, I still need to confirm though.

I had the same experience as you, 3d calcs in C# turned out to be quite slow. For the ray-caster I am use trig look-up tables to squeeze out the extra bit of performance. I will post the code for those this evening, if you haven’t already tried that, it would be interesting to see if you get a performance gain using those routines from C#.

Btw, your enclosure looks cool, now I really want one. How accessible is the main board inside the enclosure or do you have to take everything apart to get to the connectors?

The Spider board is screwed to the back wall and you do have to take it apart to access anything - but could maybe edit the SVG files in advance with some sort of additional access hole if required. There was some unused space in the template, so could maybe clone some parts into the empty space using Inkscape and get both unaltered and altered versions made up.