Gadgeteer, NETMF articles wishlist

Following my idea from this thread:

https://www.ghielectronics.com/community/forum/topic?id=17558&page=1#msg174540

I would like to start a list of articles I would like to see some day. Feel free to add to the list.

• I would like a good detail article(s) about porting NETMF for an MCU from start to finish
8 Likes

Would be great to have a repository of articles on all Gadgeteer modules, both GHI and third-party, that demonstrate the basic use of each module.

Some articles on using Gadgeteer modules in plain NETMF, and vice-versa, using non-Gadgeteer hardware with Gadgeteer boards/sockets, would be helpful in expanding the reach of Gadgeteer hardware and increasing its usefulness.

5 Likes

I’d like to see a good article on using RLP.

6 Likes

Can I +10 on this one? :wink:

How about RLP in Depth from Simon? I didn’t read it so far, but I heard it’s not bad.

I’d like to see an in depth article on Networking.

• Initialization
  • UDP/TCP clients and server implementation
  • Handle loss of connectivity
  • …
    In fact I would love to write this one on my own, but time is really an expensive good at the moment.
    But I’ll have 3 weeks off this x-mass, so I might get something done there.
2 Likes

Enable Gadgeteer devices to use Twitter, and for bonus points let me Gadgeteer photos onto twitter.

1 Like

Garbage Collection in .Net Micro: How it works and coding techniques to minimize it.

4 Likes

Advanced debugging. Reconnecting to a disconnected board and doing cool stuff.

1 Like

I would like to see an article that explains in depth, how to setup a compile environment for the NETMF source-distributions in general and the GHI Libraries. What are the required steps, complete setup from start to finish, how to edit code (which projects to open in which version of VS), how to debug, what all of the prerequisites are. And so forth.

2 Likes

I guess that’s called “NETMF for Dummies” :smiley:

1 Like

I assumed that this was more likely to be “porting kit for dummies” not the basic setup of VS and netmf SDKs. But the GHI “Libraries” are not something you have access to the source of so it doesn’t make sense to be concerned about them…

Isn’t this a good starting point … https://microtweet.codeplex.com/

This library does not work anymore with the current twitter API

My reply was about:

Which does not mention “porting kit”, just using NETMF on a given device with ready to use firmware.

@ Reinhard Ostermeier - Yeah :slight_smile: I tried again yesterday. Ran all the environment scripts, installed all the pre-requisites - still 900 errors popping up. Trying again now.

@ Brett - Ok. Then I go with the “pure” NETMF for Dummies - routine. Trying again today.

That’s a shame. I had a use for that, but the source looks fairly substantial and I don’t really fancy debugging it to work with the latest Twitter API right now; especially since they are prone to changing it every once in a while without great backwards compatibility support…

Any other known working versions?

Its been a few months when i faced this issue. If i remember well, the problem was that twitter only accepts secure connections with their new api (at that time) ( https://… )

I worked around this problem as follow:

I hired webspace at a local hosting provider who runs MS IIS webservers. I created an IIS api filter in c# / .net, who handles the twitter message comming from my netmf device and further communicates with twitter using their api.

Of course, you could do the same proxy via a free Azure Website. However, without HTTPS you lose any hope of security unless you can lock it down by IP.

I will try to implement a Twitter .NET MF library in the next 1-2 weeks or fork the MicroTweet library and change to work with the new api.
I will publish it on Github/Codeshare if I get it working.

Michael

1 Like