Gadgeteer GPS Module failure

Hi,

there is a player inside the ublox software, but only for ublox file format. I only use it for rs232 data…

Mikel

[quote]Hi,

there is a player inside the ublox software, but only for ublox file format. I only use it for rs232 data…

Mikel[/quote]

OK … I wonder how tricky it would be to take the NMEA sentences and send 'em via to my computer via a USB Client module.

Is it simply a matter of the Spider being a pass through?

Thanks

mhectorgato,

do you have some kind of UART to USB converter, like FTDI ? If so you can hook GPS’s TX PIN to FTDI and it will send NMEA messages to PC without any trouble.

Jan

So, just to let you know guys, I just received my replacement GPS module from GHI guys.

Its be almost 20 minutes, I have my laptop with the Hydra board and the GPS(only the GPS and the USB red power on it), and I still have the same problem. No fix on any satellite. Empty NMEA strings, and the PositionReceived event is never got fired.

@ Gus

This modules was really tested? both of the GPS modules have the same problem as before.
Please help us handle this problem.

Best regards…

Gutemberg

No GHI never test these, seeed does. We have heard of reports that hydra is causing GPS modules to kit work. We are investigating.

OH thanks Gus,

Chris told on one of those emails we exchange that it was tested by GHI when Seeed sent to GHI the replacements. Anyway, let me test now with the Spider and see if it is working. Will post here soon the results.

Thanks!

Best regards…

I think there are two things that got mixed:

1. At some point Seeed used the worng GPS part on the module (this one did not work well with all the mainboards) and they recalled and replaced the modules. You got one of the replacements I believe.
  2. There is a potential issue with the GPS when running on Hydra main-board ONLY. And we are investigating this issue before jumping to conclusions.

@ Gus

Justo curiosity, this GPS module has a red light. It should be red while it is operating?

Thanks

I found the ‘no fix’ issue on the Hydra, Cerberus, and Cerbuino Bee. I’m using my own GPS module design, which does work on a Panda II (wired to COM1 via breadboard). I will be testing it on a Spider and Cerb40 in the near future. See my previous posts on this thread.

@ Joe

Ok, there is a problem with Hydra. No problem. I believe I got the replacement GPS module that is “fixed” today from GHI. But, like I said, started testing with spider and… No fix…

I don’t think the problem is only with Hydra. And like @ ransomhall said, there is problems on Cerb/CerbBee also…

I never touched these gps modules myself :slight_smile:

@ Gus - Heheheh, I wonder how are u guys “investigating” this problem if you never touched it :slight_smile:

Anyway, we back to ground 0. No problem fixed, and I spent more money on another GPS + Customs fees :frowning:

Other guys at GHI are :slight_smile: your question was directed to me personally.

[quote]@ Gus - Heheheh, I wonder how are u guys “investigating” this problem if you never touched it

Anyway, we back to ground 0. No problem fixed, and I spent more money on another GPS + Customs fees
[/quote]

GHI = Gus, Joe, Steve Arron…etc. not only Gus. :wink:

We tried it with FEZ SPider and with PC and it works in both cases. Please try it again with FEZ Spider. Maybe you are testing it indoors.
We tried it with FEZ Hydra in the same conditions and it seems that the GPS is able to catch the signals of only two satellites out of 8 as I remember.

We understand your frustration and if we found that the GPS provided by Seeed is not good enough, we might consider making our own module. But let us not jump to conclusions. We are trying to do our best to find a solution. But keep in mind that it not a GHI product so some issue might be out of GHI’s scope. We can only recommend.

Oh sure now you say that the day after I order a Seeed GPS from GHI, but I’m sure the Seeed GPS will do until GHI builds one. As soon as mine arrives I have a project for it so I’ll be able to do some testing with it and report back my findings. One thing I’ve noticed is the Seeed GPS doesn’t seem to report Altitude, but perhaps a review of the driver might fix that.

@ Duke Nukem - what can we do to make you happier. You only have to ask and we are here to help. As long as it is within our each of course.

Just keep shipping cool modules and I’ll happily keep shipping you money and remain a happy Gadgeteer module junkie. I’ve posted a list of modules I’d like to see numerous times, but I know your plate is full and I’m happy to enjoy your new modules when they are released and hope someday you will get around to my list.

I know cost is a factor when making and selling modules, but its not the only factor as the modules have to work (I can’t show off a prototype and say if this module worked this is what you would be seeing as it creates a credibility issue for my prototype) so maybe using the cheapest chips/components/etc isn’t really the best choice every time. Seeed is an interesting company as they seemed to have started strong in Gadgeteer, but have since fallen off the wagon so to speak as they haven’t released anything new for awhile. I’m also a little concerned about Seeed and the 4.2 framework.

Now I did order some Gadgeteer modules and Grove modules from Seeed this week as I needed the environmental sensors (I’d happily buy them again if they are released as proper Gadgeteer Modules hint hint), but I’d certainly be happier if Seeed were a little more active in the Gadgeteer space (or you guys churned out new modules faster :slight_smile: )

@ Duke Nukem - if you commit to buying a volume, we can give your modules priority. Just email GHI directly.

@ Joe - I’m telling you that it is not working with Spider. I’m outdoors and cant get a fix.

I need to understand one thing. If we are not underground, or in a cave, we are inside a house, a car, GPS should work. I have a tablet with Windows8 that have same GPS chip as the Seeed module, and my nokia cell phone(lumia 800) also use the same chip for GPS. They both work even inside my apartment with cold start, and nice fix.

Why are this module only don’t working? The replacement modules, both produce same problem as the old one with the “defect”.

I strongly agree with @ Duke_Nukem. Tell that “it is a Seed module, so we are not responsible” is not a nice thing to say. If you want to keep your company image please, try to stop with this behavior with your customers. Since you are selling something from other company, you should give support to your customers YES. If Seeed is getting lazy to fix the problem, kick their ass and do something. At least, stop selling their products if you don’t want give the support.

Since we ordered the modules from GHI, we want GHI to give support. If I want support form Seeed, I was ordered it direct from them.

So please, lets focus on fix this problem(and remove GPS module from your website, you still selling it!). Its about 3 month without a solution…

Thanks!

Best regards…

@ galvesribeiro - what can we do to make you happier? Just say what you want and we will do. As long as it is in our reach.

By the way, we will no longer sell this gps module. It caused us and our customer enough headache. We tested with spider and Cerberus and it worked fine but it is not happy with hydra!