Gadgeteer "Base Camp"

@ Jeff_Birt - I’m up for a Danish oiled birch base camp board, if you want to sell one. I’ve got another mainboard (Hydra) that needs a home.

BTW, I posted a link to my acrylic version on the MS Gadgeteer site, and Kerry got all excited and wants to make it a featured project. Maybe Jeff and/or Pete could post details of the wooden one there.

I’ve got the birch ply in stock now but have been swamped with other things the last couple of weeks. I’ll try to get some made up before the end of the year.

Take all the time you want. Enjoy some of your favorite spiced eggnog first. I’m not in any kind of a hurry.

Wow this is really turning into quite the hobby as now I have to go get a CNC machine to make boards, cases etc. What other goodies do I need to sneak into the house?

Laser cutter

Hey guys,
just thought you might would like to know that I’ve seen some AC Vent Covers and Grills that are made of wood and look almost exactly like what you guys are making here. and they come cheap…

you may want to check out your local AC Vent Covers and Grills supplier…

just an idea.

Jay.

Another suggestion is to use standard pegboard. It already has holes with 1’’ spacing which is roughly 25mm. You can cut it any shape you want and drill more holes for smaller modules if needed.

All of these workspace solutions are really cool! I’ve not gotten past “tape the cables to the table”. :slight_smile:

@ Kerry,

You should ping Pete and ask him to make you a board like mine (see below). In my office re-org today, I found a way to prop the board up so that it’s easier to see and work with stuff…re-purposed a stand for a plaque:

Here’s a side view of the project board on the stand:

Late onto the scene, but it is a nightmare living in central america with few to zero hobby shops, I need mounting boards, spacers, nuts and bolts as shown in this demo. I spent all day yesterday visiting every hardware shop in town to buy matching nuts and bolts that are even so unfortunately a bit too short. I’d be grateful for any email-order source that could supply them for my newly-arrived FEZ starter kit components.

GHI will be trying to make this easier in near future.

Welcome to the community.

@ tellme - poke around this forum and you will find links to gadgeteer friendly hardware available through amazon and other online sites. we probably should post something in the wiki to collect links to things that others have found.

I’ve found some very nice nylon nuts, bolts, and spacers. 4-40 and 6-32 (US) sizes work best. I like nylon (or polycarbonate) because it is much lighter than a comparable steel hardware and is non conductive. Also, I am lucky enough to be able to get it at a local hardware store, albeit for a much higher price than online. Some examples:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MN3M32/ref=oh_o00_s01_i00_details
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001GHMQ9Y/ref=oh_o02_s00_i05_details
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FMUFPS/ref=oh_o02_s00_i02_details
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FMUEP4/ref=oh_o02_s01_i00_details

The nylon thumb screw and wing nut combo is the most convenient I’ve found so far. No tools required, and the wing nuts double as nice “feet” for something like the base camp board.

I’m grateful for the warm welcome. I’ll be pleased to see what you have to offer, in due time. I’ve just closed down an email to amazon, whose website refused to ship the nuts and bolts and washers items I was trying to order from them, querying why on earth they won’t do it. For some reason, they refuse to ship to P O Boxes here, though I’ve just received from GHI my first parcel of gadgeteer goodies delivered to my P O Box.

@ ransomhall, Many thanks for the quick pointers. I echo your opinion on nylon nuts and bolts. Amazon website has just refused to deliver to my POBox here for reasons unknown (we don’t have mail delivery this far out of town), despite my having an amazon account in UK. I’m asking for a proper explanation, so keep your fingers crossed for me :slight_smile:

Update:
I’ve received an unbelievable reply from Amazon that shows they don’t give a dam*.

Project boards, new modules, etc, you might want to put my credit card on speed dial Gus.

Didn’t see this thread before, but this is slightly similar to what I was thinking of doing… DevHammer turned me on to the Tamiya project boards, but this is pretty nice to be able to mock things up. My plans were a little further down the road of specific configurations of hardware.

I’ve got a ZenBot 12x18x4 3 axis mill with a hitachi m12vc 2 1/4" router as my spindle… thought about switching to a dremel to do the drilling, or find a router drill bit to fit the 1/4" chuck on my router.

I was also planning on mocking up in pine and then switching to HDPE in various thicknesses for the final products.

Those thumb screws and fasteners are very nice, will have to pick up some of those. I haven’t decided on fasteners for the boards I am thinking of yet.

Speaking of which, I know there are PDFs of the various modules and mainboards available - are the dimensions and tolerances of the boards themselves posted anywhere (or has anyone thought about those for the board itself, I know the mounting holes appear to be standard on most modules)

@ stevepresley

You can actually get Eagle files for all of the GHI boards (from gadgeteer.codeplex.com/SourceControl/list/changesets). You should be able to extract dimensions from those.

@ stevepresley

The standard for the mounting holes is documented in the module builders guide on codeplex. They are on 5mm centers.

ZenBot: Sweet. Bring it to MADExpo :slight_smile:

Pete