G400D DHCP test

I confirm, ethernet dies by simply doing

var testPort = new OutputPort(GHI.Pins.G400.PC25, false);

Hi Simon, to be more precise I am observing the trouble only if ethernet stack has fail (it occurs if I use PC25 as an output port). Then VS do not succeed to reset the board properly, the ethernet stack is most of the time like corrupted. The only way I succeed to restart it properly is to remove the PC25 declaration from my code, rerun the code using visual. It still does not work but the new code without PC25 is now on the device. Then I press reset and can observe that the ethernet is OK now. Then I can restart deploying using visual studio.

I will try also your trick. May you also test a dhcp instantiation or a static IP on your board and try to instantiate also PC25 as an output port? I would like someone else confirm what I am observing.

Regards

[edit] you have been faster than me :smiley:

It behaves exactly as you described. PC25 instantiation doesnā€™t have to be in the code ā€” G400 behaves exactly the same if use Immediate window only.

Thanks Simon

@ GHI team, please be focused on that! this is your cutting edge device!

Hi Guys, where do you find PC25 in the manual?

Page 14?

@ Simon from Vilnius - I found that one on the ARM datasheet, but not on any of the GHI documents. I thought maybe it is used by ghi internally

Itā€™s on the SAM9X35 datasheet AND in the GHI document as described by Simon. It appears for the G400-D but not for the S version. This is also in the G400-D module specification which is not labeled as preliminary.

We still are looking into built in Ethernet stability. But for PC25, we have updated the manual and brochure to reflect that it is a do not connect pin.

:wall:

6 pages of posts and a delay of more than two weeks to launch pcb production. This trivial issue impacts a lot our ongoing development in my company. For a product launched since a year, this comes as a bit of disappointment.

Please note that the manual is not updated and still labeled as 0.01 revision and preliminary version. On page 14 PC25 is still described as a GPIO.

1 Like

Well, look at the bright side: PC25 is now marked as ā€œDO NOT USEā€ ā€” problem solved!!! :smiley:

Indeed all is not dark, work goes on and we finally have an answer.

Not trying to be nasty or anything here, I just want to give you another perspective.

Iā€™m here as a hobbyist so I know nothing of your world, nothing of what brings money in for your business, and I know nothing about what pressures youā€™re currently facing with this issue.

GHI on the other hand, are here as a set of representatives of their company, to offer support for their products in our community. They know what brings money in to their business. But I suspect they donā€™t know much about your business or at least about the things that surround this specific situation.

While I love the forum to death, and I love the GHI guys who hang out here and who help us all through the trials and tribulations, this is a pretty informal support mechanism, and honestly it doesnā€™t do a great job of collecting that ā€œimpactā€ data about any particular thread.

In my day job Iā€™m a support manager for large enterprises, I deal with support questions like this every day. I am pretty upfront with my customers - sure, you can go on the internet, search for yourself, read the things you find, ask questions informally - but if you want an answer that you know as a vendor we stand behind, log it formally.

Iā€™m not trying to say anything about this situation, and Iā€™m glad that you have an answer, but I think asking the question of GHI formally, with a call and not just a forum post, can help smooth out a lot of these things. Even if you just posted and called and told them hey guys, this is holding up our next run of PCBs and that will put us into Chinese New Year delays, we need to get an answer as soon as possible, you may have had a speedier outcome - you may not have either, but you would have at least made sure more of the situation was known when priorities were assigned to looking into this.

Again, not trying to say anything about the way anyone here does business, just introducing my perspective.

1 Like

Hello Brett and thanks for sharing your opinion as I did. I respect that.

Itā€™s true that a phone call can solve a lot of amibiguous situations. Iā€™ll do it in the future.

One of the problems is solved but we still have weird behavior of the ethernet stack especially when we try to manage auto connect or reconnect featureā€¦

It would be interesting to have a robust code to manage that.

@ leforban - Where did you find the manual that is still version 0.01?

Here: https://www.ghielectronics.com/downloads/man/G400_User_Manual.pdf

@ leforban - That link is correct. It shows rev 0.02 from December 15th, with PC25 labeled. Perhaps you have a cached version?

1 Like

Youā€™re absolutely right! sorry for this mistake :-[

@ leforban - Itā€™s not a problem

I am on an other task today and probably tomorrow. I will restart working on DHCP and ethernet reliabilty ASAP and will let you know.