G400 SOM differences

I’ve been using the Raptor for a while and it seems to be working pretty well. I’m about to start laying out a custom board using one of the G400 SOMs that is better suited size and connector-wise for my application and I’d like to make sure I pick the right module. Based on Gus’ thread it looks like one difference between the G400-S and the G400-D is the -D has an on-board Ethernet PHY. Based on the data sheets, it looks like the -D also draws a little more power (probably because of the on-board PHY?). Given that I don’t need Ethernet and power consumption matters a lot, it looks like the -S is the module for me.

1. Does that sound right?
  2. Are there any other significant differences between the G400-S and G400-D?

Thanks - Gene

I would say the G400-S gives you the Maximum on Features the G400 has to offer, because every other G400 board is built around it.
You could even add the same PHY as on the -D, and use it as Builtin Ethernet (If you would Need it).
It’s also the smalest and has the least power consumption, because you would only add to it what you really need.
But I guess the board design might be a bit more complicated, with the -S Version (cut out, a lot of pads Close togeather, …

The PCB layout is a little more work with the G400S because of the cutouts so this limits your tracks from almost always exiting away from the device. The G400D gives you the added advantage of being able to swap out the board if it gets fried :slight_smile: but it is more expensive and the 200 pin connector is not ideal for prototype hand soldering although it can be done with care and a lot of patience. The G400S, like the G120 is possible.

The Raptor board has the advantage that you can route the connectors easily. Your custom board may need consideration to the layout of the IO and sometimes it all has to be on the same side (enclosure design limits) so good luck with this one.

I am just starting on a G400S based design so the above applied to what I am working on. 4 layer make power easy but you still have to consider the layout of the IO for sure.