G400-S loader Update Problem

Hello,

I use the G400-S in an own PCB(prototype). 1 of 2 operates normally, but the other one can’t update the loader.
The device manager shows me “AT91 USB to Serial Converter(COM20)”.
When i follow the instructions at this Website [url]https://www.ghielectronics.com/docs/336/g400-bootloader-installation[/url] then i stuck in point 9. The update is never over. Knows anyone how to solve this problem?

Using
-SDK 4.3
-VS2013
-Windows 7 Enterprise

P.S. Sorry about the bad english

Thanks for help
lmu

@ lmu - The script is stuck at “Updating…” forever?

Is it possible that you have a design fault in your PCB?

How are the USB lines routed to the G400? Are you using differential pairing for this, especially if the lines are long?

@ John - Yes all the time
@ Dave McLaughlin - they’re both the same lenght(about 40mm) and running parallel

OK. I re-read your post and I see that 1 board works but the other one fails?

Have you checked all of the solder connections to make sure they flowed correctly? Worth a quick check with a good string magnifying glass.

@ Dave McLaughlin - exactly, i resolder the G400 and still the same Problem:(

Quick question.

Do you have tracks with VIA’s going under the module? If you do, are the via’s tented?

Can you show an image of the G400 on your custom board? Just the G400 area.

@ Dave McLaughlin - Yes, i know that’s not recommended
to the Images: the PCB has 4 Layers. it should be in the right order(1-4), the via’s are covered but i don’t think that they’re tented.

You have them covered so that is fine.

I can’t see the USB connector in your images but do you have any ESD protection on the USB lines? It should be located near the USB connector itself. Plugging in the USB cable can generate transients on the USB inputs so you should really have protection. I am pretty sure the G400S does not have this onboard.

@ Dave McLaughlin - No, i don’t have any ESD Protection. In this case i use ESD Portection in the next prototype version.

@ lmu - There should be a log file in C:\Users[user]\AppData\Local\Temp with a name starting with “GHI Electronics G400 Loader Update Log-”. Find the latest one and post its contents here.

@ John -
-I- Waiting …
-I- TCL platform : Windows NT
-I- SAM-BA 2.12 on : windows
current connection is \USBserial\COM18, \USBserial\COM18 to be matched
-I- Retrieved arguments from command line :
-I- argv 0 : \USBserial\COM18
-I- argv 1 : at91sam9g15-ek
-I- argv 2 : Loader.tcl
-I- Connection : \USBserial\COM18 (target(comType) = 0)
-I- Board : at91sam9g15-ek
-I- Traces Level : 4
-I- target(handle) : 57152920
Read device Chip ID at 0xfffff240 — get 0x819a05a1
-I- Found processor : at91sam9g15 (Chip ID : 0x819a05a1)
sourcing device file C:/Program Files (x86)/Atmel/sam-ba_2.12/sam-ba.exe/…/tcl_lib/devices/at91sam9g15.tcl
sourcing board description file C:/Program Files (x86)/Atmel/sam-ba_2.12/sam-ba.exe/…/tcl_lib/at91sam9g15-ek/at91sam9g15-ek.tcl
-I- Loading applet applet-lowlevelinit-sam9g15.bin at address 0x300000
-I- Memory Size : 0x0 bytes
-I- Buffer address : 0x4
-I- Buffer size: 0x0 bytes
-I- Applet initialization done
-I- Low level initialized
-I- External RAM Settings : extRamVdd=0, extRamType=1, extRamDataBusWidth=32, extDDRamModel=0
-I- External RAM Settings : extRamVdd=0, extRamType=1, extRamDataBusWidth=32, extDDRamModel=0
-I- Loading applet applet-extram-sam9g15.bin at address 0x300000
-I- Memory Size : 0x8000000 bytes
-I- Buffer address : 0x300B90
-I- External RAM initialized
-I- Command line mode : Execute script file : Loader.tcl
-I- Loading applet applet-extram-sam9g15.bin at address 0x300000
-I- Memory Size : 0x8000000 bytes
-I- Buffer address : 0x300B90
-I- DATAFLASH::Init 0 (trace level : 4)
-I- Loading applet applet-dataflash-sam9g15.bin at address 0x20000000
-I- Memory Size : 0x420000 bytes
-I- Buffer address : 0x20008FEC
-I- Buffer size: 0x3180 bytes
-I- Complete 0%
-I- Erasing: 0x3180 bytes at address 0x0

that’s all

@ lmu - Are you using the latest 2016 R1 pre-release SDK? Has this board ever worked before? Can you try to update on a different computer?

@ John - I tried the 2016 R1, but still the same Problem. This Board doesn’t work before:( I use 3 different PCs to update. At the first PC the board is everytime decected like “AT91 USB to Serial Converter(COM18 )” and at both other PCs is it an unknown device(after connecting pin 8 on socket 3 to ground)

@ lmu - If one of your boards works, but the other doesn’t on the same computer, something damaged that board that fails unfortunately.

@ John -
@ Dave McLaughlin -
I don’t know what the problem was, but now all PCBs work properly.
Thanks for your help :clap: