G30 Required Pins and Power Modes

Great thank you guys. I will definitely be storing the original on-date as well as an ID# in the EEPROM but I will also be having the RTC going to pop up with a timed message to customers who buy the resells with our info and phone number haha (:

If they take out the battery then the warranty is void. They aren’t even supposed the open the housing but they always send us back “broken,” units that were clearly taken apart and put back together completely wrong.

In the G30 Dev Board schematic, the USB debug section, where is the wire labeled USB Detect supposed to go? Is that just any interrupt that gets pulled when the USB is plugged in?

take a look at Pin 31 on X11…

Oh ok thank you so its just where the pin is exposed. What exactly is the purpose of exposing that part of the debug circuit but not putting USB detect on te other USB port?

not sure why a serial port should require such a detection circuit

I’d suggest this is exposing the pin on a header that the user can jumper to a GPIO, that can let them do intelligent things with it in code. If you look at the way the signal comes, it’s essentially when the USB debug port is powering the device, so in that scenario you know that you have “unlimited” power and don’t need to eliminate things for better battery optimisation, or maybe you protect your debug.print() with a combination of checking this pin and debugger IsConnected checks.

Ok thank you Brett that was a great explanation. I think I will apply this concept to my FT232 so I can tell when USB is plugged in to disable my buttons for remote mode.

That is a USB to serial conversion chip…as in it has a USB port which feeds into an IC that converts it to serial. You could still make use of knowing when the USB is plugged in to begin checking the serial interface for data or to put the device in remote mode (which I just mentioned I will be doing with the same chip).

@John_Brochue I see that the max voltage is 3.6 V in the processor data sheet but cannot find the current rating. There is a current vs temp graph for vbat and the most it uses is 2.5 uA. So should I not exceed 2.5 uA?

2.5uA is simply the nominal power draw of the RTC - you need a power source that will provide that (at no more than 3.6V) over your required length of time - so you need to be talking capacity in mAh. The traces you need on a PCB from your device to the battery only need to carry the 2.5uA so they do not need to be anything special.

I imagine it’s referring to the current it draws so you can use it in your calculations for your power supply. You need to be able to provide at least the current it requires at whatever voltage, for whatever time period you deem appropriate.

1 Like

because its a serial port you don’t need to waste additional pcb components or an interrupt, all you need to do is to initialize the uart, if it receives data process it, if not do nothing

But what if there is an hour gap between data transfers and that whole time, the front buttons need to be disabled so some idiot doesn’t come by and press a button in the middle of an extensive measuring process. What do you recommend for that? My first thought is to pull a pin high when the USB and GPIB ports are being used. Second thought is to have a state machine that switches into remote mode when a command is processed but I can’t think of a trigger to switch back out of remote mode that doesn’t involve my initial idea.

i dont see the relation to the serial port…

a user always has the potential to do bad things, thats the “privilege” of physical device access…
murphys law Anything that can go wrong will go wrong

you dont want that your users are able to press buttons during a measuring process ? simply ignore the event during that process or add a switch to your pcb design that disconnects the buttons during such a process or … or simply teach your users

The owner of our company wants me to do it the way I have described as it has already been done with the old model. I am doing this for a GPIB port as well not just UART. Since I was told I have to do it this way - it is a matter of HOW to do it, not why, so don’t worry about your lack of understanding of context / how the device aids in measurement / the fact that the device itself does not measure so there is no process / feedback to that process other than if its plugged in or not.

it looks like you have a hard time to understand even simple things but i will no longer waste your and especially my time due to the lack of understanding of your bucket full of problems

I think I am doing a wonderful job of learning embedded design considering this is the first micro controller I have touched in my life. You did not point out a single problem other than additional PCB components (only one extra trace and a resistor needed) and a wasted interrupt (which I have 11 extra of currently). Thank for the input though, hope you have a great day!

you should really improve your social skills
don’t forget YOU are the one searching for help

Play nice everyone please. This is a happy place to share knowledge. No one is getting paid to be here and we are all here to help one another.

2 Likes