Got fed up with the crappy control on my electric cheap oven and decided to NETMF if. Using my temp sensor on the multimeter I could see that the heating control via the thermosat was crude and out by about 20 degrees C and very slow to switch the heating back on so there was quite a high loss of temperature during the cycling.
Using a custom board with the G120 and a 5" Capactive touch LCD I built a new controller for it. Overkill of course but hey, why have a hobby and not use it.
See below for a couple of images. Sorry about the washed out one but the phone won’t capture the LCD as well as the rest of the surrounding area. It does show my multimeter with a thermocouple showing the same temperature. My sensor is located below the bottom shelve, between the 2 front heating elements. The test one was located just above the middle of the oven.
Temperature sensor is a Grove thermocouple based unit from Seeed Studio feeding into the G120 analog input. The G120 analog inputs are very noisy so I used a rolling average filter to clean this up and it works quite well.
The heating element is controlled by a 40A solid state relay and I get about a 5 degree overshoot on the simple PID I used.
Using a software based has allowed me to control the cooking stages. For example, when I cook some pork bellies, I cook at 220 deg C for 30 mins and then reduce this to 180 for 1.5 hours. I can add cooking steps like this in the software.
It’s all done in pure NETMF with Glide.
As you see, it’s a bit wonky mounted right now and I will sort this out in the next few days to make it more presentable but I am chuffed that it works. Now there is no excuse for poor baking.