Free PCB design tool from Altium

I have to consider a holiday in your country, ticket fee and hotel stay will be less than an ultimate contribution :wink:

In what country if you donā€™t mind me asking ?

MSSQL Enterprise is $7k per CPU. 2008 was ~$25k per CPU :open_mouth:

We run it on 32-way machines with >200GB of RAM.

Indonesia. :slight_smile:

I was talking about illegal software as I am sure you figured out. :whistle:

Guessing their pricing model changed because of a number factors, competition, what customers are willing to pay, plus an introduction of relatively cheap ā€œweb editionā€ if your requirement for database engine only features (just needing to deploy more of them to have the performance of a single large deployment).

Have to try it out. Altium designer is by far the best pcb designer ever. Now if they only could integrate the NI Circuit Design Suite and labcenter proteus.

of course I know, I was just kind of wondering how come all of these illegal software vendor seem to agree on the price tag, as if they are run by some huge corporation :(ā€¦ even in morocco you run into these random types selling them at $5ā€¦ go figureā€¦ I guess the similarity on the price comes from the DVD Media profit marginā€¦ only if they knew the value of the software they are sellingā€¦ shame :wall:

Unfortunately it doesnā€™t work that way. MSSQL clusters donā€™t improve performance, and partitioning is clunky, and requires the Enterprise edition anyway. The real problem here is that horizontally-scalable ā€œNoSQLā€ engines are ā€œgood enoughā€ that theyā€™re eating MSā€™ lunch.

[quote=ā€œgodefroiā€]The real problem here is that horizontally-scalable ā€œNoSQLā€ engines are ā€œgood enoughā€ that theyā€™re eating MSā€™ lunch.
[/quote]

1 Like

I believe you mean $7K per ā€œcoreā€ not ā€œCPUā€ for SQL Server 2014 Enterprise. 2008 was sold per CPU or server. So, thatā€™s hardly an apples-to-apples comparison. The price definitely hasnā€™t gone down.

Correct - they just changed their pricing model to match Oracleā€™s (per core).

For here, $5 is actually close enough to a single Rp. 50,000 note and a single note is easier than messing around with change.

Itā€™s not so much the fact they are selling illegal software here, itā€™s the fact itā€™s done in plain sight in a shopping mall. Of course, when I first got here I checked a few out but they are so riddled with virus or malware I gave up in the end.

I must confess though that my first venture in the Altium PCB world was with Protel 99SE and this was an illegal copy that I used at home to do some learning and make some hobby work from. You could consider in the same light as the free version because later when I got employed to do design work, I got the company to purchase a few seats of Protel 99SE and then when I started working for myself, I too purchased it. In the end, Altium gained from that ā€œfreeā€ version I learned on. :slight_smile:

What was Mongoā€™s growth during that period? Cassandraā€™s? HBaseā€™s?

SQLā€™s revenue growth might correspond to the increase in average CPU core counts during that period, for all we know. Also, that quarter wouldā€™ve included many of the early adopters for SQL Server 2014, those that jumped right on the new version.

Iā€™m not saying SQL Server isnā€™t a solid product; we use it everyday, we have it deployed on thousands of cores across many hundreds of machines. We are also, however, looking for alternatives :slight_smile: Price matters; if it didnā€™t, Altium wouldnā€™t be releasing a free version, limited or not.

I finally had time to start a design using CircuitMaker tonight and Iā€™ve just got to say that if you havenā€™t tried it then stop what youā€™re doing and download it. Iā€™ve only spent a few hours on it and I already feel exponentially more productive than I ever did with Eagle. I started with a very simple design that only uses one part that I expected to have to create. However, due to its Ciiva integration and community shared library I didnā€™t have to create a single part. That even included the Gadgeteer 10-pin socket. Itā€™s just a joy to use. If you havenā€™t already, give it a try.

@ ianlee74 - That is so true.Now that CircuitMaker has private projects (it hadnā€™t in the previous beta), Eagle will probably have a very tough timeā€¦

@ Simon from Vilnius - only 2 projects max, AFAIK.

One of the major thing that people are complaining about CM is a requirement to have a constant access to the internet in order to be able to use this software.

In reading your post i though must be cool, so iā€™ll give it a go. After a bit of playing with it I do agree with you that I felt more comfortable with this than eagle. It is a very cool program. But at the same time the drawbacks are far more serious than its features. IMHO of course.
I dont like the fact that my projects are shared in a community setting (except for 2 sandboxā€™s). To have my files stored in a cloud somewhere is not practical at all. The day they go by-by, all my projects are lost forever. Without local storage of my files it is impractical for any small medium size business application. Now, if they would offer an offline install, and for me to keep my own files then I would consider switching to it from what i use now which is Labcenter.

@ versamodule, they do - itā€™s called Circuit Studio.

Not really completely off-line :hand:
And since access to the online vault is denied if you do not renew the subscription (after one year), I wonder how useful (useless ?) will Circuit-Studio be after that period.

That said, I have not tried the Trial version yet, so I might be wrong. Is it worth 2630ā‚¬ / year ?

Downloading/installing CircuitMaker as I type thisā€¦ :smiley: