Flip-flop that toggles on low to high signal

Hello all,

does anyone know of a flip flop IC which can toggle its output on receiving, on a single input pin, a 0v signal, which immediately thereafter turns into a 5v signal?

Flip-flop receives a 0v signal, turns its output on.
Immediately thereafter, the flip-flop receives a 5v, its output stays on.
2 seconds later, the flip-flop receives a 0v signal, turns its output off.
Immediately thereafter, the flip-flop receives a 5v, its output stays off.

This is for a MCU-less project in which I want to toggle the output on/off from an infrared receiver picking up a signal from a transmitter. My chosen IR receiver maintains a high-state, when it detects an infrared signal from a transmitter it goes low for a couple of milliseconds, then is back with its high state. I won’t be doing any reading of the specific signal being sent, it’s not important to me which button on the remote was pressed.

Thanks in advance!

just a first thought, this should be possible with irq enabled input using the falling edge doing a bit turnover?

[EDIT] ok no MCU, should be possible to :wink: falling edge should be the trigger.

Take a look here:

http://www.doctronics.co.uk/4013.htm

This should be possible with a 4013 or similar chip by connecting the D input to the /Q output (Q inverted).
Since your pulse is so short, you can also trigger on the rising edge (which is what the 4013 does). Or put an inverter in front of it, or there are also flip-flops that trigger on the falling edge.

Hope that helps,
Mike

Hello Mikep,

it sure does - thanks & appreciate it.