First FEZ Cream Test

Took a bit of doing, but I have my first test project working with the FEZ Cream!

Pic below is me holding a joystick to one corner, with the FEZ Cream taking the input and writing it out to a TextBlock on the UAP app.

One thing I ran into, and I’m not sure if it’s because I compiled the DLLs for the GHIElectronics.UAP.Drivers, GHIElectronics.UAP.Gadgeteer.Core, and GHIElectronics.UAP.Gadgeteer.Modules projects, and referenced the compiled DLLs, rather than referencing the projects, but when I tried to deploy the test project to the Pi, Visual Studio complained that for each of those projects, it could not copy a file ending with “.rd.xml”. This is the first I’ve run across that file extension, so I’m not even sure what it is, though one MSDN forum thread I found said something about checking “Generate Library Layout” in the project properties (build tab). That fix didn’t work for me, but it did generate the files, at which point I copied them into the bin directory (under ARM/Release) in my test project, and that allowed me to successfully deploy.

I’m planning to demo both the FEZ HAT and FEZ Cream on Monday during my talk at ThatConference:

Hoping that I’ll be able to get more fun than just the Joystick, but a successful deployment is definitely a step in the right direction!

Good work, GHI. Hopefully, the drivers will keep getting more polished, but it’s pretty straightforward to get a Gadgeteer module working.

6 Likes

Just added the CharacterDisplay. A few lines of code, and it worked on the first try.

Well, OK. It worked on the second try, because on the first try I forgot to power the Pi2 back up. :-[

But apart from my goof, using the CharacterDisplay module was easy peasy. I do think there may be room for improvement in the perf on the display…seems to be pretty slow to draw, but it’s working so I’m happy. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Can you use the joystick module to control minecraft? :smiley:

@ mtylerjr - I know you’re joking, but assuming the new Windows 10 version of Minecraft is a UAP app, it might just work on IoT Core.

Certainly, you could write your own game as a UAP app, and use the FEZ Cream to add sensors and other hardware to enhance the experience.

My Fez Cream arrived today! It was at the reception desk when I arrived at the office. Now I have to wait all day before I go home to play with it (and my replacement power modules)

My pathetic begging for a engineering sample of a brainpad fell on deaf, heartless ears though, lol.

@ devhammer - Very cool, but what are you using to power it? I see the low-voltage icon on the screen.

1 Like

Is that what that icon is? I had no idea. :slight_smile:

If you look carefully in the picture, you’ll see that the Pi2 is plugged into a battery pack (there are two in the pic, actually) that I got from an MVP summit a few years back. It should be providing 5v and around 1A or so, I think…will check the specs when I’m back in my office. I’ve used these for many of my IoT and Gadgeteer demos because they have a substantial capacity, can be recharged via USB, AC (they have a flip-out plug built-in), or solar (not sure this is terribly useful, given how slow it is, but I don’t mind having the option).

Unless the particular rig I’m demoing/using needs to be debugged from VS, I tend to use these batteries. One less wall wart to worry about.

@ devhammer - yup :slight_smile:

It also slows down the processor and causes other undesirable outcomes. Red square=overtemp, rainbow=undervolt

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=82373

2 Likes

Thanks for that. I’d simply assumed it was part of the Windows 10 IoT Core UI. I’ll try it plugged in with an adapter and see if I can get rid of that icon. Will also have to test all those batteries and make sure I’m actually getting 5v from them. Would hate to be running all my gear at low voltage.

@ mcalsyn - Nice find, thanks. Never had one of the icons yet but it is nice to know when they show up.

Is there any way to add additional power through the HAT? I’m powering through USB from the desktop computer but have the low power icon.

@ dft277 - best option is a powered hub.