First ever .NET Gadgeteer contest

I see, use digikey 100pc cost as a reference for you. We have our own sources for special prices.

It’s Dec 1st. Did you get enough entries to keep the contest alive?

http://www.tinyclr.com/forum/1/4904/#/1/msg46485

It is a go! We will post something tomorrow and mail out DuinoProto boards.

So I assume that the contest is a go, seeing as I got an order notification/shipping notification for a DuinoProto? :slight_smile:

Since we all have to include a piezo element, I think it would be of benefit to everyone to maybe compare notes on this one component. So far, I’ve tried two different piezos and neither are loud enough or sound clear enough to even come close to being presentable when driven straight off a PWM pin. Has anyone found a good piezo that works satisfactorily at low voltages?

This one I can’t get a sound out of on a Hydra PWM. I can get sound out of it on an Arduino PWM but it’s not very loud.

Interestingly enough, this one I could get faint sounds out of on the Hydra but it was worse on the Arduino.

I’m about to order a bunch more to try out but hoped maybe someone had already run across a good one.

3904 transistors are way too cheap and help in many cases.

I assume you’re talking about driving it directly off the 5V power instead of the pin. I was planning to try that next but I have my doubts since I believe the Arduino has 5V on its pins and should have already served as that test.

@ ianlee74 - Gus means use a transistor to amplify the signal. I also had less than stellar results with my first attempt using the Atmega328P (overkill), and am now playing with a couple different variations using a 555 timer. If you google PWM signal generator or PWM motor driver you’ll get a ton of example circuits that can easily be modified to output sound.

[edit] several PWM circuit options [url]http://circuitelec.blogspot.com/2009/03/pwm-generator-circuit.html[/url]

Plus there are all kinds of peizos. Some are loud enough to be a fire alarm :slight_smile: It also make difference if the peizo is just a rounded piece of metal or it is inside plastic, like the one on FEZ Cobra.

Lets also define “Piezo”. Does it only refer to a speaker in general, with either a coil or piezo driver? Or does it refer to only speakers with piezo driving elements.

Something that makes noise :smiley:

I think it is part of the contest - to came up with best combination.

“2. Must have a piezo onboard, speakers and external amplifiers are not allowed.”

I interpreted that to mean that it must have a metal disk type piezo. No speakers.

Ahh, but the black “piezo” like the one ofn the Cobra and the Piezo E-Block(http://www.ghielectronics.com/catalog/product/153) can be either Piezo or magnetic/coil. You get the same package in both…

So? Must it just be an onboard “sound maker” or must it be Piezo AND onboard… :slight_smile:

Of the key points for wining is cost. Peizos are a lot cheaper than miniature speakers.

Well, the cheapest “piezo” I can find, in my country anyway, is labeled as “PCB magnetic transducer 80dB” at unger $0.50. Maybe not THE cheapest in the USA, but it’s the cheapest here… ;D

You might want to check the contest page…

Yay, got my DuinoProto in the mail today(And a Fez Monkey! Thanks GHI! :))

But where do I submit my final design when the submission form states that it is past 15 Jan already and that submissions are closed?

Hmm indeed.

Edit:

Oh yeah:

[quote]Final design entries are due by Sunday, January 15th, 2012.
GHI Electronics will announce and contact the top three entries. These contestants are required to mail their prototype (and provide tracking number) by Wednesday, January 18th, 2012.[/quote]

If my final design entry is good, I am required to send it within 3 days? Or provide tracking number within 3 days? Because shipping within 3 days is not possible because of the distance.

You have to mail it in 3 days and provide us with tracking number. We didn’t say we have to receive it in 3 days :slight_smile:

You will need to submit everything you have electronically by Jan 15th…you have 2 more weeks :slight_smile: