Firmwareupdate

Hello,
I have some FEZ Domino V1.1 and FEZ Cerbuino Bee Rev 1.2. I want to do a firmeware update with FEZ Config.
On FEZ Domino version 4.1.8.0 is installed and no Loader?? When I start the update the progress goes to 40% and I hear a lot of pings. Then I get a message: There is no Unknow-Device connected.
The same happens with FEZ Cerbuino Bee: Here the progressbar goes to 100% and I get the same message.

In VS 2012 I have the problem “Cannot deploy the base assembly ‘mscorlib’, or any of his satellite assemblies, to device - USB:Gadgeteer twice. Assembly ‘mscorlib’ on the device has version 4.2.0.0, while the program is trying to deploy version 4.3.1.0”

It is a new PC where I have never work with the Micro Framework and the devices are also new ones.

Yes, I understand this but my problem is th eupdate!

For the FEZ Domino you must install the NETMF 4.1 SDK, too.

The information from andre.m is correct, the last firmeware for domino was 4.1

If you use the 4.1 Firmware und must set the Target Framework of your Project to 4.1.
If you use the 4.2 Firmware und must set the Target Framework of your Project to 4.2.
If you use the 4.3 Firmware und must set the Target Framework of your Project to 4.3.

For the FEZ Cerbuino Bee see FEZ Cerb Family documentation:

https://www.ghielectronics.com/docs/46/fez-cerb-family-developers-guide#3253

Loader Update

The loader on the Cerb Family is updated using ST Microelectronics’s STDFU Tester program. This program is installed by default with our SDK.

Under STMicroelectronics in the start menu, run the STDFU Tester program.

The board must be put in a special mode for the STDFU tool to recognize it. To do so, hold the LDR button on your board, power it, then release LDR.

If your board lacks an LDR button, short the two pads labeled either LDR or BOOT (depending on your board) together and then power your board.

If you have a FEZ Cerb40 II, hold the LODR pin high and then power the board.

Next, you will see “STM Device in DFU Mode” appear under Device in the STDFU tool. Click the Protocol tab.

Click the Create from Map button, select the Erase radio button, and then click Go. The program will take a few moments to erase the board.

Once you see that it has finished, click the Load DFU File button and select the C:\Program Files (x86)\GHI Electronics\GHI NETMF v4.3 SDK\Firmwares\Cerb Family\Loader.dfu file. Click the Download radio button and then click Go. The program will quickly load the new loader onto your board.

Hope this information helps.

Hello Wolfgang,
thank you, that was helpfull. The Cerbuino Bee works.
But there are Problems with the FEZ Domino. I Think here we should also make an update for the loader because it is not possible to communicate between VS 2010/ FEZ Config and the FEZ Domino.
Does it work as decribed for the Cerb Family?

@ User_8034

Which NetMf Version you use with VS 2010?

Visual Studio 2010 for v4.2 SDK or older
Visual Studio 2012 for v4.3 SDK or later

You must install the correct Visual Studio <-> .Net Microframework SDK Version combination. If not you have Problems.

I try to check it with my Domino :think:

As you said the target Framework of my Project is 4.1.
But as I said I have also Problems with connecting the device to FEZ Config or USBIzi Updater.

@ User_8034

I tested it with my very old Domino. It works.

I use:
Visual Studio 2012
.Net Microframework 4.3 QFE1
GHI NETMF 4.3 SDK 2014 R2
GHI NetMF 4.1 SDK

Try to update to 4.3 R5

Looking for a device on transport ‘USB’
Starting device deployment…
Iteration 0
Opening port \?\usb#vid_1b9f&pid_0102#5&1206bf36&0&1#{a5dcbf10-6530-11d2-901f-00c04fb951ed}
Attaching debugger engine…
… debugger engine attached!
Querying device assemblies…
Found Assembly mscorlib 4.1.2821.0
Found Assembly Microsoft.SPOT.Graphics 4.1.2821.0
Found Assembly FEZDomino_GHIElectronics.NETMF.FEZ 4.1.8.0
Found Assembly DominoStepper 1.0.0.0
Found Assembly Microsoft.SPOT.Native 4.1.2821.0
Found Assembly Microsoft.SPOT.Hardware 4.1.2821.0
Adding pe file C:\Users\Wolfgang\Documents\Visual Studio 2012\Projects\test\MFConsoleApplication1\MFConsoleApplication1\bin\Debug\le\MFConsoleApplication1.pe to deployment bundle
Adding pe file C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft .NET Micro Framework\v4.1\Assemblies\le\Microsoft.SPOT.Graphics.pe to deployment bundle
Adding pe file C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft .NET Micro Framework\v4.1\Assemblies\le\Microsoft.SPOT.Native.pe to deployment bundle
Adding pe file C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft .NET Micro Framework\v4.1\Assemblies\le\Microsoft.SPOT.IO.pe to deployment bundle
Adding pe file C:\Program Files (x86)\GHI Electronics\GHI NETMF v4.1 SDK\Assemblies\le\fezdomino_ghielectronics.netmf.fez.pe to deployment bundle
Adding pe file C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft .NET Micro Framework\v4.1\Assemblies\le\Microsoft.SPOT.Hardware.pe to deployment bundle
Attempting deployment…
Incrementally deploying assemblies to device
Deploying assemblies for a total size of 26632 bytes
Assemblies successfully deployed to device.
Restarting interpreter…
Attaching to device…
Waiting for device to initialize…

The same Result with
GHI NetMF SDK 2014 R5

It works.

Debugger also.

Fez Config also work with Domino!!!

My Domino don´t need a Update. He has the last firmware version for this hardware.

I can´t check the Updater.

My Domino is also a V1.1

Hello Wolfgang,
when I connect the Domino to the PC I see the device in device manager (picture).
Then I start FEZ Config and click “Check device for update”. i makes “ding dong” and I get the massage that the device is not connected. The PC tries zu install a new driver and it fails (next picture).
I have here 2 Domino and it is the same with all.
The same happens when I try it with VS 2010. After starting the program I hear a ding-dong and a different driver will be installed but failed.
I have no doubt what to do.

@ User_8034

I think it is a driver problem.

Can you install the GHI USB Driver manually.

It should be distributed by the GHI SDK.

https://www.ghielectronics.com/docs/165/netmf-and-gadgeteer-troubleshooting

https://www.ghielectronics.com/docs/109/usb-drivers-choices-including-winusb

Hello,
I also think it is a Problem with the USB Driver. I have the same behavior on 3 PCs and with 3 FEZ Domino.
Thats why I have downloaded different Version of the NETMF and Gadgeteer Packages, deinstalled the existing USB Driver and installed the new one. Without success!
When I start FEZ Config the device is connected, I can ping it. But when I click on “Check for Update” I get the Message “No device connected”. When I look in the Windows Device Manager I see the drivers but after click on the biutton they disappear.
What is the right Driver for FEZ Domino?

@ User_8034

I updated my Fez Domino in the past by hand.

https://www.ghielectronics.com/docs/53/firmware-update-usbizi

Possibly is the FEZ Config not the correct tool to update the Domino and the function “Check for Update” work not correct with this old hardware.

Hello Wolfgang,
thank you for this hint. No I can do a firmwareupdate and after this it is possible to communicate between VS 2010 and FEZ Domino.
My last Problem is the fact that when I connect the FEZ Domino to the PC I don’t see a COM-Port. I need this because we have a little program for configuration.
I only see the GHI NETMF Interface under USB devices in the device manager.

I’m not sure exactly what you mean here - the GHI NETMF Debuggable Interface is the expected visible device. That is, UNLESS you are in bootloader mode, or in CDC mode. Does your code use CDC?

Hello Brett,
yes we use CDC but there is no COM-Port to see:
cdc = USBClientController.StandardDevices.StartCDC_WithDebugging();

You can’t use CDC AND debug over USB since firmware V4.2. If you use CDC you need to force the debug interface being COM1. This is usually done using a button or a jumper.

Are you sure you are targetting a V4.1 SDK?

I have a FEZ Domino and it has firmeware 4.1. The program was built for a FEZ Panda II and here it works.