Firmware for a low power STM 32F401 device

@ dobova - on the following page there is some code towards the HW I hope it helps some, you probably need more …

Goto → STSW-STM32141 - STM32F429 discovery .Net Micro Framework package (UM1676) - STMicroelectronics download the zipper, open the zip file and look into directory with the hardware.cs there is some info, hope the brings you further …

I’ve got a 429 disco myself and installed the netmf package (from the binaries) but than got lost in translation …

TWIMC - Just had my first run at VisualDBG and it seemed to be quite [em]easy[/em]. Installed trail, some debuggers and STM devs, got my STM32F429 Disco board where NetMf was running.

Followed the STM setup the VisualDBG from the tutorial on STM Discovery board, Hit F5 and surprise me LED on port PG13 was blinking AND did my debugging in Visual Studio 2015 as usual, cool.

Now, up to the next step, getting NetMf on the 429, shouldn’t be that different then a Blinky in C … :whistle:

2 Likes

So the 429 Dev board doesn’t have netmf on it out of the box? Do you have a 429 netmf image?

@ Jason, yeah but only the binary images. They are free to download from the ST side plus a welth of other related materails concerning the 429 disco board.

And I had NetMf running, but not anymore … got now my super duper cool Blinky app running :dance:

@ PiWi - Yes, I had it working netmf on it. I didn’t test lcd. They give you some src .cs file for the discovery specific hardware, but I’d like netmf for STM32F4 src code.
I still use Keil 5.xx for native code … nightmere environment but still working.
I will give a try for sure to the VisualGDB… it’s really interesting.

@ Jason - I tried the Nucleo with the STM32F411RE on it … and that did not work at all.

It did generate and compile but visualgdb (or some part in the chain) didn’t like the attached nucleo and refused to recognize the board … :wall:

Thanks for the info. I’d really like this process to be simpler but things never go that way. I’m not 100% ready to start the project so have some time to do some more research. If the Radius has a running NETMF then it must be possible. Perhaps the limiting factor, besides my knowledge, is the cost of a suitable compiler.

I’ll keep working on it for now.

@ Jason - I recon, it is quite simple already. staying in one tool and do your embedded stuff and the netmf stuff and the gadgeteer stuff (all in VS2015, except the gadgeteer stuff for now).

Since the 429 disco board worked out easily I assumed the Nucleo board with 411RE would do as well, but na, no luck yet … I’ll ask the VisualGDB team over here … maybe they can give me a tip or trick …

It is not much of a science job though:

1. Install VisualGDB
  2. Create new embedded project[/ol]
  3. A wizard guides you through the process (4, 5 windows)
  4. After the wizard your project is generated with the blinky code
  5. Whatch to use the proper port for the LED but that’s on the 429 Disco PCB
  6. Build the project in VS and run it

Or just follow the tutorials on the VisualGDB site … STM32 debugging with ST-Link, OpenOCD & VisualGDB – VisualGDB Tutorials … change the MCU and the LEDBlink group to GPIOG and the port to 13

That’s all I did, and it worked … not much of an engineering job … but than again I’m not an engineer …

This must work for a 411RE based board as well … just a matter of time, I suppose …

1 Like

@ Jason - Came across this article in the support forum, I don’t have the board with me so I have to check when i’m back in the lab to verify but looks promising …

http://forum.sysprogs.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3247&p=7503&hilit=nucleo#p7503

1 Like

I take a look when I have some time. Thanks again and keep me posted on your progress please.